Author Topic: New guy  (Read 3249 times)

jessejamesmck

New guy
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:38:22 pm »
I just found out I had this from my first ever MRI on Friday the 10th of December. I am athletic and I am not very stoked about the loss of balance. I can deal with the hearing loss, but the headaches, dizziness and loss of balance suck. I am really scared, but to see other people on here is great. I have not had a appointment yet to discuss my options yet.

moe

Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 09:46:30 pm »
Hi Jesse,
Welcome to the forum, this is a great place and lots of combined experiences.

No two  AN's are the same. Would love to hear more about your specifics when you find out size, location,etc.

It is scary and  unreal at first, but the more you read and learn, the more you understand that it is a benign, slow growing tumor (usually), and you have time to look at all your options. (send for the ANA booklets for lots of invaluable info).

Many athletes do great after the surgery. Your body compensates for the balance. As far as headaches, dizziness-some people get headaches (I didn't), the dizziness varies (I don't have that), and the balance-well if you are already athletic, you should bounce right back. So take a deep breath. It is treatable and the majority of people do just fine :)
Maureen
(mine was med-large, compressed the brain stem and facial nerve was shot- this is NOT normal. But I am doing great)>
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

questions?586

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:02:58 pm »
Hi and Welcome!

I'm in the "Watch and Wait" file for now.  It is so anxiety producing, this bugger of ours.  Read away and ask questions.  This Acoustic Neuroma Association has free information they will send you.

Wishing you well,

Starr
AN 1.4 cm x 1.7 cm x 1.0 cm
fair amount of hearing loss right ear
diagnosed 7/29/10

I'm a fun and reasonable RN, now living far from appropriate medical care. Feeling overwhelmed!

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:45:54 am »
The news of an AN is scary.     It really does vary how a person will be after treatment.      There are many here who have treatment and do well past recovery and are gone from here.      One may esp have the one sided hearing loss but most other issues do improve over time.         Not everyone has headaches but is good if one does to be able to talk to others here who also do.         I have had tumors on both sides and have an even rarer condition of NF2.           I have had 4 surgeries and no headaches and no dizziness.           One will have an off balance feel for a time but it does improve.          Moe is right in that the tumor size and location plays a part in it all.                 Sorry you are having to join the AN family but we will help all we can.
                                                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 06:59:07 am »
Hi and welcome to this forum of caring, supportive friends ......

If we are honest, probably all of us would admit to being terrified when we heard the diagnosis.  It is especially troubling when you are a very athletic person.  As Cheryl said, that really is to your advantage because your body is already in good shape.  You did not say what sent you for the MRI, but apparently not balance issues.  Depending upon the size and location of your AN, your symptoms, and your own comfort level, you may have several options for treatment.  Tell us more about your situation.

The first person I thought about when I read your post was Bob (user name: stoneaxe), who is an experienced standup paddleboarder.  His story is an amazing one of how quickly he was back up on his board.  Check out his posts ...... it will give you much encouragement for an athletic life after AN treatment.

Stay with us .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

suboo73

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 02:22:07 pm »
Hi Jesse,

Stopping by to say Welcome - but sorry you had to join this exclusive AN club.
Hope you find the answers you need here.
The ultimate decision for treatment is yours alone...but you will get there as you travel your own AN journey.
Just know that we are here for you.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Mark241

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 02:39:53 pm »
Sorry Bro, I still have very slight balance issues, mostly when it's dark, but not nearly like falling down, or even catching myself. I know it sucks, I was an army ranger for 8 yrs, and still a police officer for the past 15. It never hampered my work outs or really much of anything else, besides some hearing issues. My ENT had offered some therapy for balance, so I know that options is there. Good luck bro
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 02:55:52 pm »
jessejamesmck ~

I just wanted to offer you my welcome and the assurance that not every AN patient automatically encounters life-altering deficits, post-treatment (surgery or radiation).  Look forward to learning more from you after you've had your doctor appointment and have more information.  Try not to assume the worst.  I'm sure you'll do fine.  I did - and I was in my sixties and definitely not athletic (but otherwise healthy and relatively fit).  Try to think positive...it helps. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 10:08:03 pm »
If you are worried about balance, check out some posts by Stoneaxe, as Clarice suggested. After radiation a few years ago and surgery early this year, he is still going after Stand Up Paddleboarding, even in winter. Inspiring to say the least. Whether you go that far or not, you can certainly regain a lot of balance function if you want to.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=13070.0

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

kraynok2

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 08:58:25 pm »
Welcome to our group with tons of information.  I just had my surgery in November, so I am a rather new member.  I sent for the ANA free information.  They send very good information that helped me.  I must have done about 100 hours of research before making a decision.  Do a lot of reading.  As mentioned by others, be positive.  Being positive and well informed really helped me before and after my surgery.  Keep us informed and we'll be here for you.
Sandy