Author Topic: It's been a year already???????????  (Read 2927 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
It's been a year already???????????
« on: December 09, 2010, 03:40:58 am »
Hello one and all, I couldn't wait for this day to come, when it is my turn to give the customary one year postie update!  Yes, I remember it well, on that fateful day on December 9, 2009 at about 1pm, as I was being wheeled into the OR...after that, not much to remember :).  Then I woke up, saw everything tilted 90 degrees and the promptly passing out again.  It took about six month after that to find my mojo. My recovery was very good considering.  Nowadays I still have a wee bit balance thing going, the hearing I would guestimate at about 50% word discrimination (maybe even less but hey, I CAN hear!!!), somewhat to really annoying tinnitus and still get tired when I really overdo it too much. I also seem to have a small memory problem that either did crop up after my surgery, or I just wasn't aware of it before but now do because I am more focused on things that seem different. Those are all the bad things I have, which I can definitely live with versus the other of having a mass growing in my noggin or a not so good recovery.  I still visit this discussion forum regularly, offering comfort and advice when I can.  I find more often than not that I reach out and try to help the newbies who are like I was a year ago....full of questions, frustrations, and more than concerned about what's gonna happen.  I guess it's sort of a pay it forward kind of thing since I had gotten so much help when I was a newbie myself.  Since my surgery, I saw this as a second chance at life, doing things I wouldn't have dreamed of. So I am pursuing my engineering degree, and am starting classes this spring.  I also am trying to stop and smell the roses a little more than I used to.  I still am working like a dog sometimes, but that's what pays the bills so I must.  But no one said I couldn't dance a little at work now and then (well, I really don't, but in my mind I do!).  I go in for my one year check up on the 22nd. Sometime after that is when I'll get my first MRI since my surgery.  I am not concerned at all about what it will reveal.  I am eager to get a hearing aid, as it really sucks to constantly keep asking people to repeat themselves if they are on my AN side talking to me.  So that's it in a nutshell of how I am doing. If you are a newbie reading this, just know there is life after surgery. You'll make it just fine, one way or another!  Thanks to all you regulars whom I've had the pleasure of knowing this first year, I am looking forward to many more years with you guys! Oh, I just thought of another good thing, I've kept my hair real short since my surgery so now I can cut my own hair at home, saving me money and time, and it doesn't look half bad.  So much nicer to manage, for sure!! Thanks again guys, and have a happy holiday!!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: It's been a year already???????????
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:50:01 am »
Jay .....

Yes, life can be good after AN surgery ...... so glad you are doing so well!

Happy holidays to you, as well.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kaitysmom

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 08:15:04 am »
Jay

Thanks for sharing this.  It gives hope to those of us who jest had surgery, were just diagnosed and those who jest found out. 

I am a month post surgery and can appreciate your post.  I'm looking forward to a one year post.

Thanks again for sharing!

Jody

Mickey

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 09:15:43 am »
Keep up the good work Jay! Your young and from what I have seen with my AN group will continue to progress going into the future. Best wishes, Mickey

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 01:50:08 pm »
Hi, Jay ~

Happy first anniversary (of your surgery).  Your thoughts on reaching the one-year post-op mark are appreciated and welcomed.  May the next year be even better for you!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kraynok2

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 01:53:50 pm »
Jay,
    Merry Christmas and congratulations on your one year anniversary!  It was good reading your post and it will help those just finding out they have this tumor.  Good luck on your engineering studies. 
Sandy

moe

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 10:01:12 pm »
Great one year report, Jay!
So glad you are sticking around:)
Enjoy your holidays :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:59:05 pm »
If time has been flying, then someone has been having fun.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.