Author Topic: New AN Posting  (Read 3848 times)

Still Flying

New AN Posting
« on: December 01, 2010, 06:14:07 pm »
Hello to everyone,

Thanks for such a great data base and support group.;D  I am new to the forum and wanted to say Hi and also ask for some information.  I was diagnosed with a right side acoustic neuroma “vestibular schwannoma” over a year ago.  The tumor was approximately 2.5mm by 3.0mm and is now about 2.7mm by 3.7mm filling approximately 2/3rd of the inner ear canal.  Originally it filled about 1/3rd of the inner ear canal.  I have lost some hearing recently, do have tinnitus, but thankfully have not had any vertigo or facial control issues. 

Luckily I’m seeing Dr. Robert Jackler at Stanford Medical Center and Dr. Derald Brackmann of the House Ear Clinic.  I just had my second follow-up and MRI and the time has come for removal.  This baby has got to go and I am ready for it to go.  I’m currently reviewing options and deciding upon which treatment plan I will follow.  I know that there are pros and cons to both.  I am looking at micro surgery with Dr. Brackmann at the House Ear Clinic and stereotactic radiation, "the gamma knife" with Dr Gibbs and staff at Stanford.  All of these doctors are great and I could not have a better team.

So here is my question; are their any commercial pilots on this forum, or do you know of any professional pilots who have or have had an acoustic Neuroma that would be willing to share some of their experiences and recommendations with me concerning surgery or radiation therapy and all of the other things that we have to deal with. 

Thanks so much for any assistance.  God bless all of you and thanks for taking the time to share all of your experiences and knowledge, it is so valuable.

Sincerely,

Dale Farr
“Still Flying”

JAndrews

Re: New AN Posting
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 06:31:13 pm »
I had surgery with Dr. Brackmann. he told me he had done many of the same surgeries on ice skaters and pilots, and that they all returned to work Ask him. He really puts your mind at ease from the very first conversation on the phone. Everything he told me about my recovery after the surgery...was true. I am fine. Tinnitus stinks, still getting used to the SSD, but thats it..can't complain
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

opp2

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 06:38:27 pm »
I do know a Canadian Pilot who had surgery recently. He is not on this forum though. I don't know if he may be of help to you or not considering there will be different rules for aviators in each country.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Still Flying

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 08:36:16 pm »
Thanks so much.  I agree Dr. Brackmann is an amazing man who is the very best at what he does.  He has treated a lot of pilots and everyone of them is flying today..  Talking with him is always a good experience.  Dr. Jackler is also an incredible surgeon and I value his opinion greatly.  I did read about a pilot who had the GK procedure.  He was very happy with the results and is flying for one of the majors as we speak.  Not sure which procedure is better at this point, I'm just not ready to quit flying and I want to select the procedure that will give me the very best results with the best chance of a full recovery and the ability to continue flying.  Its all that I have done for the last 29 years.  (twenty in the military and nine as a commercial civilian pilot).  I have a lot of thinking to do and I will keep everyone posted about the decision making process as well as the outcome.  Please feel free to pass this along or offer any thoughts that you may have.  Thanks again.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:54:29 pm »
Hi Dale .....

I am not a pilot but I wanted to say how glad I am that you found us.  This forum is a great support group of caring friends who will gladly share anything they can from a layman's perspective.  Feel free to ask any questions and if you have not already done so, send for the free ANA materials.  http://anausa.org/sc/apps/forms/forms.cgi  They contain a wealth of information and much reassurance.

..... and, by all means, let us know what you decide.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Sam Rush

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 10:50:12 am »
I had surgery with Dr. Brackmann, and since my surgery I have flown airplanes, ridden motorcycles, bicycles, and horses, all with no problem, although I had to give up flying for other non-health related issues.

Good lucl !!!

Sam
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Derek C

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 05:31:17 am »
Hi Dale, 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a 4cm. AN and I too am a commercial pilot.  Unfortunately there wasn't really a choice left for me due to the size of the tumor with my options.  After researching the issues just as you are currently in the process I felt along with the neurosurgeons in West Palm Beach that my best option was to have Dr. Brackmann of the House Institute perform the surgery.  With in 3 days of being diagnosed I was on my way to Los Angeles to meet the incredible Dr. Brackmann and his amazing staff.  The timing of the whole thing was absolutely incredible, they were able to schedule my trans lab surgery for me within a week.  I know it sounds a little rushed, but I had a team of doctors and family members involved in helping make the best decisio possible.
Having to momentarily suspend the flying is not something that sits real well with me and waiting to have my AN removed was going to drive me crazy.  On December 9th Dr Brackmann and Dr Schwartz removed 100% of my 4cm AN after an 8 hour surgery. They did an amazing job!  I had ZERO facial nerve issues and feel phenomonal!   I am the 23rd pilot Dr Brackmann has operated on and look forward to keeping his returned-to-flight status statistics to 100%.
It's only been several days since the surgery, but I am excited today to meet with my local doctors and AME to map out my return to the cockpit ASAP.... I have set a personal goal of Februrary 14th (2 months after being discharged).

I will keep you posted on the FAA status.

I wish you the best

Derek