Author Topic: Should I be doing something???  (Read 3226 times)

KarenE

Should I be doing something???
« on: January 11, 2011, 01:35:35 pm »
I had cross facial nerve graft and gold weight surgery on August 30th.  I have since regained some facial movement on my left side when I clench my jaw!!  When I returned to my doctor to show him the new movement, he told me to practice "smiling" with a mirror for an hour a day.  But then I see you guys talking about acupuncture and massages and I'm thinking that I should be doing something more..........
3.1 cm facial schwannoma removed 7/23/10 at Skull Base Institute - CA
No hearing left ear
Little balance
Left side of face paralyzed
Have nerve reconstruction surgery 8/30/10

moe

Re: Should I be doing something???
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:37:44 am »
Hi Karen,
Just wondering did the surgeon also transplant any muscle to your cheek area? I'm trying to figure out what kind of surgery you had ???
I had the "gracilis free flap" surgery. One surgery where thigh muscle was transplanted into cheek and the masseter nerve used for innervation to the muscle. (I can't remember if we posted earlier about this.)

Anyway, that is how I started with movement 3 months after surgery, by biting down (from masseter nerve). No cross facial nerve graft- I have heard that this is a 2 step surgery.

My doc told me the same- to practice in the mirror (but not an hour a day, I don't think i could muster the time!). Biting down and smiling. I can now smile without biting down. Cheek transplant only move up so much. Still no movement on upper lip though(may need a "tweek" surgery to bring that up, and bring the other lip DOWN). I also do mouth exercises, massage my cheek, heat. The doc said I could do anything 3 months post op. No restrictions.
 Acupuncture, massage might help...I spent an armful on acupuncture before my surgery, so have no $$$ for that, but I'd say go for it if you can.

I have such a difficult time posting pics here, even with photo bucket, but will send a pic to your email if you want. Just PM me!
Keep smiling ~Keep biting
Maureen
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:42:17 am by moe »
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jessica000

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 06:57:03 am »
Hi,

Don't do acupuncture too soon. It should only be done after nerves are more or less done growing. You can tell by examining if your muscles twitch or move ( very small twitches counts too) to determine where have the nerve grows to. It works for me and I use that to gauge myself. Though my irritating eye still refuse to close fully despite the constant twitch for 2 months.

You can massage your side of mouth gently outwards and imagine that you are smiling wider and wider. I hope it works for you  :)

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 12:07:49 am »
I can remember going to a facial physiotherapist for a time, can't remember after which surgery though, ask your doctor if this would be helpful
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)