Author Topic: Anyone have difficulty swallowing?  (Read 3451 times)

sunfish

Anyone have difficulty swallowing?
« on: December 28, 2010, 09:48:10 am »
Moderators - move this wherever you think I'll get the best response.  Didn't know where to post

I had CK last March.  Within a week of treatment, I had an episode where I was eating meat, and all of a sudden I felt the bite wouldn't go down my esophagus (stuck) and had terrible chest pain.  Because I'd struggled with high blood pressure, thought I was having heart attack.  Well, after several seconds the problem passed, and I swallowed OK.  I went to after hours clinic that night due to high blood pressure, and they put me on meds but didn't address swallowing problems.

I've had minor incidents of this since, but not nearly that extreme until last night.  Same sort of episode while eating roast beef last night, bite wouldn't go down, terrible chest pain for about a minute and a half.  Lots of heartburn recently, some new meds over the past month.  Have any of you had similar experiences before/after treatment, especially with radiosurgery?  I'm suspicious that my blood pressure and swallowing difficulties could be due to problems with other cranial nerves (glossopharyngeal or vagus).  I'm starting to feel like some sort of crazy hypochondriac.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Cheryl R

Re: Anyone have difficulty swallowing?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:11:35 am »
Sounds like esophogeal spasm and probably not nerve related.    I have had some occ issues with it.           Had one real bad spell after taking an antibiotic  and had to change meds.               Make sure and take small bites of meat and do mention it to a dr.    The odds are it is a GI issue and not CK related but never say never!                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:10:38 am »
Swallowing difficulties are a low-occurrence possibility with surgery, I have no idea about CK. I have swallowing difficulties because of the nerve involvement from my tumor and surgery. There is pretty decent article on Wikipedia about the mechanisms of swallowing that may help you understand what you experienced and this may help in following Cheryl's advice about mentioning it to your doctor which I strongly recommend.

If you do have an ongoing problem, there are coping mechanisms which mostly involve small bites, chewing everything very well, small sips of liquid with each bite for dry foods, and so on.

Good luck and let us know what your doc says.

-Tod

Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

GramaSuby

• "Lost my muchness have I"? ALICE IN WONDERLAND
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 01:31:34 pm »
That sounds very scary and I hope thats the end of it.  I went from being able to swallow 10+ pills before surgery to struggling w/ swallowing 1 after surgery.  Thankfullly that gradually improved over the following weeks. Now I'm back to swallowing a handful of vitamins.  Good luck!
Diagnosed Nov 08  w/ 14x13x14mm left AN. Translab on 9/30/10 w/ Dr's Mattox & Olson at Emory University Hosp. in Atlanta.  Post surgery complications were meningitis & pneumonia. Hospitalized for 12 days, zero memory for the first 5.