Author Topic: Cell phone  (Read 2045 times)

Calgaryjoe

Cell phone
« on: December 26, 2010, 01:59:34 pm »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Cell phone
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 04:46:36 pm »
Frankly, I'm getting a bit weary of the media's 'cell phone causes AN/brain cancer ' stories that cannot be scientifically proven to a medical certainty.  Of course a 'study' funded by cell phone manufacturers is likely to be suspect when it finds no problems and so are the 'studies' funded by the government that help the researchers remain gainfully employed as long as they find something in the data that warrants - wait for it - further study.  However, I understand the curiosity and concern over the cell phone-AN issue and know it isn't about to go away any time soon.

Here is a link to the ANA's position on the cell phone - AN correlation: http://www.anausa.org/news.shtml I trust it will offer some reassurance to those about to throw away their cell phone. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Cell phone
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 06:23:02 pm »
Jim, I'm with you on this. The thing I find of interest in this article is that the researchers were able do replicate previous results by making similar assumptions (that they considered flawed) used in the previous study. That, at least, is somewhat meaningful. If this pushes a trend towards study using the same assumptions, that is an improvement.

However, I'm not sure it is going to matter much. From what I have read, I have real doubts about the accuracy of the incidence and prevalence rates currently used. I have some ingrained biases against medical research because of sample sizes that are much smaller than I use in education research and because the data are often collected for a different primary purpose.   I don't think anyone really knows which are the best estimates.

In 32 years of practice, I was the first patient with a brain tumor, that my PCP had. Or at least knew that he had. There is a lot more information available now. In 2004, the Brian Tumor Registry was created, but it seems to me to be under-utilized and a long ways from being an optimal design.  More information, better diagnostics, better training, are all likely to lead to more diagnoses. Once those issues are addressed, maybe then I will worry about cell phones. At that point, I can probably start worrying about WiFi networks at home, work, the bookstore, and Starbucks.

Or not. I spend a lot of time in the woods - I don't spend much time worrying about wild animals, after all, the weather is a much greater threat. Even then, I believe there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear. I drive about 24,000 miles a year...that is far more serious to worry about than cell phones.

Excepts for the bozos talking on cell phones while they drive.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.