Author Topic: Scull Base Institute  (Read 3209 times)

Mickey

Scull Base Institute
« on: January 24, 2011, 09:55:30 am »
I was wondering how many patients used this method for removal of ANs.? Ineresting procedure according to what I have read. Like to get some opinions.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Scull Base Institute
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:59:26 pm »
Mickey ~

A handful of our members have undergone endoscopic surgery to remove an acoustic neuroma, most of them at the Skull Base Institute in Los Angeles, California, run by Dr. Shahinian.  As I recall, all of the SBI patients that posted were pleased with the results.  However, this is still a relatively new and slightly controversial surgical procedure for acoustic neuroma removal.  Because AN removal surgery is very complicated, anything new and different that concerns such a complicated surgery is often viewed with skepticism by the medical community.  My very experienced neurosurgeon claimed to be clueless about endoscopic surgery on acoustic neuromas.  He was also quite negative about the premise.  However, that was in 2006 and things may have changed by now.  I've always said that endoscopic surgery for acoustic neuroma removal could well be 'the wave of the future'.  I still believe that but of course, I'm not a doctor and I could be wrong.  I trust that the few folks who've undergone endoscopic surgery to remove their AN will chime in on this thread, soon. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 05:43:34 pm »
Mickey

Try a "search" here for SBI or Skull Base Institute. I know of some that were happy and some not. Please try a "search" option as there have been many posts over the years regarding the work they do. 

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mickey

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:53:10 am »
Thanks for the help. From my investigating I would think this process would be more in the limelight now. Must be a reason for it to not have taken the forfront in AN technology. Probably is that most of the AN regular surgery is so perfected after all the years it has under its belt. Mickey

OTO

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 04:30:20 pm »
Also look for the discussion thread in the Microsurgical Options forum.   Someone posted an article about St. Vincent's Hospital using a new tool.   The article says Dr. Schwartz, neurosurgeon with House Ear Clinic is using this new NICO Myriad tool that is minimial invasive.   Not sure if this is endoscopic surgery, but something new that House Clinic and St Vincent's is using. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 09:07:56 pm »
Lots of posts on the Forum about SBI and Dr. Shananian, who is somewhat of a controversial doc. 

As Phyl mentioned, if you search you'll find them.

I can't imagine having endoscopic surgery for an AN, but in all fairness those who've had it seem to be very happy with it.

I asked my neurotologist his opinion about it a few months ago and he told me he wasn't in favor of it because you can't see if bleeding occurs and to him that was an issue.  I'm not sure of all the specifics, just recall that this concerned him.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways