Author Topic: endoscopic surgery for AN  (Read 1694 times)

ombrerose4

endoscopic surgery for AN
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:10:32 pm »
Has anyone had endoscopic surgery for their AN or know anything about this less invasive approach. I am trying to get information for a patient who was just diagnosed. I see that it is done at the Skull Base Institute in LA. I would appreciate any information on this topic :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

wendysig

Re: endoscopic surgery for AN
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:02:58 pm »
Lauren,

I know more than one forumite has had endoscopic surgery at the Skull Base Institute, but the only one who comes to mind is Jersey Girl (Eve), whom I think you met at at least one NYC/NJ brunch.  I'm sure she will chime in, but if you want to, you can contact her directly.  This was her second surgery for AN, the first was 20 years before.  I believe Dr. Shaniahan  (spelling?)was her surgeon and she was very happy with the outcome.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: endoscopic surgery for AN
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:19:04 am »
Lauren -

there are numerous posts about SBI and Dr. Shananian on the Forum - just search.

Endo isn't widely done for ANs, but those who've had it seen to be very satisfied with the results.

Dr. Shananian is somewhat of a controversial character, but I'm not sure if that's a fair assessment of him since I've never met him; only read about him.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways