Author Topic: MS (multiple sclerosis) diagnois with AN?  (Read 3201 times)

FLsunshine

• A journey of a 1000 miles starts with one step
MS (multiple sclerosis) diagnois with AN?
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:11:46 am »
New wrinkle in my medical journey... docs think AN diagnosis 5 years ago was by luck/incidental and the real reason behind a lot of my symptoms may be relapsing MS (multiple scelorsis) since flar ups this year have involved increased muscle spasms/tremor, facial tics, vision issues, vestibular deficit in non AN ear, word recall issues, etc.  Oh joy.  Next appt with my neurologist is Feb 3rd and more round of tests.

And I thought I just had a brain tumor.  LoL. 

Anyone else out there who had AN as incidential diagnosis to MS or other debilitating disease?  Probably not but thought I'd ask anyway.

44 yrs old... jeez.
3mm AN diagnosed in 2006
w&w with escalating symptoms
slow growth - at 4mm in 2010

lori67

Re: MS (multiple sclerosis) diagnois with AN?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:38:28 am »
Hi FLSunshine.

I'm so sorry to hear about the latest news.  Just what you needed, right? 

I know there are a few others here that have other medical issues along with their AN.  I'm not sure about any with MS, but I think there's more than one with Lupus.  Hopefully you'll hear from them soon for their input.

When I first went to my doctor, he thought I had MS and it turned out to be an AN.  Interesting how some of these things have such similar symptoms. 

Good luck at your appt next month.  Let us know how it goes.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:20:04 pm »
I think my doctors too had thought it was possible I had MS at first, turned out to be the tumor.  Prayers being sent your way and good thought too.
Keep us posted and I'll be thinking of you.  MS is managable, I have family members with it who are living great lives.
God Bless,
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 07:40:30 am »
I am so sorry you are going through this.  I have an excellent family doctor. She diagnosed me with an AN after I answered a few questions for her after falling..........she confirmed it with an MRI and an MRI/ with contrast.  She read the radiologists report and said, "How long have you had MS?."  I said, I don't have MS."  She showed me the scans and then ran some more tests and said that according to my medical history it had been on my previous doctor's "mind" for quite a while, but he never ran the rest of the tests to be sure.  I am in and out of "remition" with it and do everything she and my neurologist ask of me and so far so good.  I am a candidate for power chair now, even though I am still mobile.  I can't do some of the things I would like to do, but I can still do a whole lot.
Good luck with your tests and stay positive.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

cin605

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 10:50:48 am »
Hmmm....I have all those symptoms and i am 2 1/2 years out from surgery.maybe i should be tested....then again there is probly nothing you can do about your MS symptoms either is there?
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:11:57 pm »
Suzanne ~

I'm sorry to learn your doctor suspects that you may have Multiple Sclerosis.  We know that AN symptoms mimic MS symptoms in many ways so only very specific testing can resolve the question.  Obviously, I hope the answer is negative for MS.  Please try to keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

FLsunshine

• A journey of a 1000 miles starts with one step
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:56:53 pm »
Thanks for everyone's good thoughts and posts.  I truly appreciate them ALL!  I'll send an update after the Feb 3rd visit.  Fingers, toes, legs all crossed!
3mm AN diagnosed in 2006
w&w with escalating symptoms
slow growth - at 4mm in 2010

kraynok2

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 07:20:00 pm »
I hope it is not MS.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Good luck on the 3rd. Sandy

itsaparent

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 05:48:41 pm »
I have relapsing remitting MS and during an MRI to check on that, the AN was found.  It happens.  Life is still very, very good  8)  I wish you strength, optimism, and good medical care.