Author Topic: were you told about risk of balance problems?  (Read 2788 times)

mattsmum

were you told about risk of balance problems?
« on: January 30, 2011, 02:51:18 pm »
were other people having radiosurgery warned of possible worsening of balance problems after?
i am sure i was not - but it does seem to be quite common from what i have since read.
i did have some balance problems before i had radiosurgery last july, and have been having a lot more since (amongst other things).

vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: were you told about risk of balance problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:04:24 pm »
Vikki ~

Good question.  I may not be the best person to answer it because, although I underwent FSR (26 sessions), I had AN debulking surgery, first.  However, to the best of my recollection, at no time during the prep for the radiation were possible post-radiation balance problems mentioned.  My neurosurgeon was interested in my balance post-surgery (it was decent) but the radiation oncologist never really seemed to be curious about it or mention even the possibility of balance problems as a result of the radiation.  Fortunately, for me, there weren't any and today, my balance is quite serviceable, if not 'perfect'.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:51:20 pm »
Well, I think balance problems just go with the territory, whether you have surgery or radiosurgery.  My balance has always been just fine, until one year ago when I had an episode of vertigo.  I had gradually got back to normal before CK.  The doctor DID talk with me about potential balance issues after CK.  He said he had one patient who developed "intractable vertigo" after CK.  Balance problems were my biggest concerns before CK, and have been my biggest hurdle afterwards.  However, I've been able to continue almost all my daily activities, and seem to be improving some at this point.

The balance problems are the result of damage to your vestibulocochlear nerve, and that damage can happen from the AN itself, from surgery, or from radiation.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:59:50 pm »
Vikki

Yes my doctor told me that I might have more balance issues after CK.  He told me that like all the other area that the radiation hits, it can cause the balance nerve to swell up.  And so far for me it has been true.  Since my CK my balance has been worse, but after reading some post I guess I am lucky, I can still function pretty well.  I don't know if anyone can answer this question but I sure hope my balance does get better.

TJ

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:42:28 pm »
I'm proof that there can be additional balance problems due to radiation. I'm one of the postie-toasties here..both radiation and surgery. After radiation my balance problems were pretty bad. 4 years postradiation my tumor started to grow again....had it removed the second time. Post surgery no balance problems. As its been explained to me...radiation can result in a partially functioning vestibular nerve...a short circuit if you will. Because its not steady state your system can never adjust and balance problems are the result.
That doesn't mean that surgery is preferable. I did lots of research before radiation the 1st time and decided to go that way because of a lesser possibility for side effects overall. Statistically (at least according to the data I could find in 2004) surgery causes more side efects. It turned out not to be the case for me (you know what they say about statistics) not only did my balance improve after surgery, I no longer have any headaches. But I do have some slight facial paralysis and synkenesis... (tears when i eat). I've often felt the toughest part of AN's is making the decision on treatment. Flip a coin?
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org