Author Topic: New to Forum  (Read 2773 times)

Chris P

New to Forum
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:47:58 am »
Hi ,
    I am a new member of ANA and this is my first time on the forum.  I had gamma knife radiation surgery on a tumor that surrounds nerve 7 and 8 of my right inner ear , last June, 2010.  After the surgery I felt great, my dizziness was gone and I was starting to feel like myself again.  Four months later in Oct. 2010 I experienced facial weakness and a few weeks later hearing loss.  Now 4 months later I still have my facial weakness and a lot of hearing loss in my right ear with balance problems.  I go back to my doctor for a followup MRI this coming June, other than that I have no contact with my doctor.
   I was wondering if anyone has experience what I have.  My doctor told me it would be a slow process for my palsy to go away and the hearing will probably not get better.  I can deal with the hearing loss but I would like to think that my facial weakness will go away and my balance will improve.  I also have a lot of tearing in my right eye which distorts my vision a lot.

I would appreciate any input at this point to give me hope of getting better.  Thank you.

Small AN 14mm , right side , Gamma Knife Radiation 6/22/10 Gainsville, Florida.
Balance issues, hearing loss and facial weakness appeared four months post op.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:32:42 pm »
Hi, Chris - welcome to the ANA discussion forums!  Thanks for taking the time to register and post.  :)

I can't offer strict medical advice because I'm not a doctor but I can offer you some encouragement.  For post-radiation AN patients, at the 4-month point, swelling is often an issue and that swelling (as the tumor reacts to the DNA-killing radiation) can cause the kinds of problems you're experiencing.  Based on others experience, these problems (facial mobility, balance, hearing) usually prove to be temporary.  Again, based on others experience as well as my own (I underwent FSR) facial immobility does take time to resolve, regaining balance is a a slow process (but achievable) and hearing loss is usually - but not always - permanent.  In short, you'll get better.  It will take time (and patience on your part) and some things won't noticeaebly improve i.e. hearing, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I call it normalcy, and you'll have it, in time.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 05:35:25 pm »
Chris Welcome

Jim is correct in what you experience may just be side effects from the radiation.  You did not mention but I guess if you had GK you got all the radiation at one time.  For some bodies that is harder to take than if given in smaller doses.  But since this is only February I don't think it would be bad to contact your doctor about it.

TJ

Chris P

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:08:52 am »
   Hi,  I want to thank those that have answered my message.  I appreciate the input and knowing that the radiation , which I had all at one time, show the symptoms I am having and knowing there is a good chance it will get better in time really helps.  My doctor did say I could call him anytime to ask him questions, and I did, he said it will take time and wants to see me in June for a follow up MRI.  Unless things get worse I have not need to call him again and all of your input helps me feel less anxious.  Thanks again.
Small AN 14mm , right side , Gamma Knife Radiation 6/22/10 Gainsville, Florida.
Balance issues, hearing loss and facial weakness appeared four months post op.