Author Topic: Spare a thought for the Kiwi's  (Read 4579 times)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Spare a thought for the Kiwi's
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:41:10 pm »
Hi all,

Not sure if any posts have been made on the recent earthquakes in Christchurch but here goes.

I lived in new Zealand for 15 years in a city called Wellington (500 miles north of Christchurch). This city is on a fault line (same as L.A I think) and tremors are shocking things to cope with. Wellington has about 2000 quakes a year - 1998 of them are not felt thankfully.

I was in Christchurch just over a year ago and it was a beautiful city. very historic and the architecture was something else. Something like 25% of the buildings have been or will be brought down which is a real shocker.

the worst part of this is the tragic loss of life, the devestation to families and loved ones. This AN community is very special and so were those people. The generosity of most western countries has been fantastic in this time of need for surviving families and my heart goes out to all of them.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

lori67

Re: Spare a thought for the Kiwi's
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:54:37 pm »
I haven't seen any other posts, so I'm glad you started one.

I've seen the pictures on tv and in the papers and the destruction looks just awful.  My heart just goes out to everyone affected.  My husband was there during a port visit while in the Navy and absolutely loved it.  Of all the places he's been, that was his favorite.

I have a few friends from that part of the world, and if everyone there is like my friends, they will bounce back pretty quickly - they're pretty tough cookies!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:04:19 pm »
Larry, I have been thinking about the earthquake a lot because I am a member of www.Blipfoto.com,  and people all around the world submit their images to this site in the form of their own personal journal...  Four journals that I follow happen to be in NZ and their own observations have really personalized it for me.   

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:22:04 pm »
Laz .....

Our WV Symphony Orchestra conductor (and good friend) is from Wellington and he still has family there.  He has an uncle and cousins in Christchurch so the recent earthquakes there have been very real for me.  Such a sad situation for the people involved.  I truly hope their suffering is being alleviated by the help of many others.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, as we have several of you who are very closely involved.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 07:24:11 pm »
Cant say it has been pleasant here, the devastation to buildings and death toll standing at 165 at the moment has left our small population in complete shock.  They think it will rise to approx 220 and things have now switched to recovery of bodies from search and rescue.  After having a bigger earthquake in Sept last year,  the area was already devastated and buildings were already teetering on destruction. The earthquake was shallow in depth (only 5km) and at lunchtime on a weekday and it is now considered the 3rd worse disaster in our country.  We have had a lot of help from search and rescue teams from all over the world and our closest neighbours Australia have helped out immensly.

It will take a long time for Christchurch to rebuild and everyone here is doing things to raise money and help out people who have lost everything. We just hope that the tourist keep coming over to still see our beautiful country and inject much need tourist dollars into our economy.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

Keri

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 07:34:14 pm »
i'm glad you shared - to keep us aware and give it a personal connection. what a terrible thing. i've never been through an earthquake... can't even imagine the devastation.
i'm glad you're receiving help from the community and internationaly community, but am so sad for you and your beautiful country.
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

moe

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:51:47 am »
Jacqui,
We've traveled to NZ, Christchurch (loooong time ago) and would go back in a heartbeat, earthquake or no earthquake. Beautiful land (what I remember)..
Praying for no more quakes..
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 03:34:17 pm »
Larry ~

I've never been to New Zealand and have no connections to your country but my wife and I have flirted with the idea of retiring there, if that counts.  Frankly, the U.S. news media haven't given the earthquake much coverage since the initial story broke in February, although I occasionally see a short newspaper piece about the devastation wrought by the quake and the rebuilding efforts now underway.  Like everyone else, I was shocked and saddened by the accounts of the loss of life and the destruction of homes, businesses and landmarks, such as the Christchurch Cathedral.  I trust that international aid (public and private) will help in the rebuilding of Christchurch and the other areas affected by the earthquake.  If we can't move to N.Z., I at least hope we can visit someday soon.  The country looks beautiful, the climate seems temperate and the people, exceptionally plucky.  I pray that the recovery from the quake will proceed at a rapid pace and things can soon return to normal for New Zealanders.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 08:12:07 pm »
Jim,

NZ is a beautiful country. For those that aren't aware, it is made up of two islands. the north island has the biggest city - Auckland. It also has a lot of thermal activity - hot pools and stuff - very relaxing. The south island incorporates a lot of scenery spread across Europe. there are glaciers and great skiing too. Oh, the wineries are really good, especially the whites.

A note for all Americans - i know the GFC has hit you guys hard but the best thing for New Zealand right now is tourism so get those holidays planned. You can then pop across the creek (well 3 hours by air) and have a squizz at Australia as well.

In all seriousness, I contacted a friend of mine in Christchurch who only movd house about 3 months ago - luckily he moved out in time coz his old house is a pile of rubble now. A family riend (mother of two young kiddies) died and that has affected a lot of people.

Thanks guys for your appreciation of the situation.

cheers

laz
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 01:11:22 pm »
Hi Laz,

My girlfriend's uncle and his friend were in Christchurch when the earth quake hit.  They were suppose to fly out that evening, to make their way home.  After several attempts to call relatives in New Zealand Karen's uncle and his friend were safe and sound.  About a week after the earth quake they flew to Las Vegas, enjoyed the sights and sounds and than made their way home.  Her uncle took many pictures of the devastation.  It is heart breaking to see the destruction.  Karen's uncle was in the big cathedral the day before the earth quake, the before and after pictures are incredible.  I just can't believe all of the natural disaster that have hit your part of the world.  I think "Mother Nature" needs a much deserved holiday.

Take care Laz,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 08:56:47 pm »
Hi Anne Marie,

yeah we've had it all - fires, floods, earthquakes, cyclones.

Now all we need is a Klingon invasion  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Laz
Chronologer of the PBW

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 09:14:32 pm »
Gosh Larry, you never know when the Klingon Invasion might hit since Dec 21 2012 is just around the corner  ;)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games