Author Topic: Post LINAC surgery questions  (Read 2948 times)

Shawn713

Post LINAC surgery questions
« on: March 06, 2011, 04:01:13 pm »
Hello,

My name is Shawn, 47, male, in Wisconsin.  I had outpatient LINAC single dose treatment for a 1cm AN one month ago and my very good hearing in the ear was gone by the time I was riding home in my car.  I also developed minor balance problems.  In the last few weeks, the hearing has returned along with constant tinnitus.  My balance is good now, and I am back to running 3-6 miles a night.  My question is:  was the hearing loss due to the surgery?  One doc said no, it was probably due to the head frame numbing anaesthetic causing irritated nerves, but my radiation oncologist said the sudden hear loss could have been due to the single dose of radiation and swelling of the AN.  Can it swell that quickly?

I initially thought my hearing was permanently gone, but about 9 days after surgery, my hearing came back and is decent again.  I have problems processing sounds in large, noisy areas like basketball games or concerts, but quiet settings are pretty good.  Also, my head and scalp are still slightly numb and sore from the headframe and screws.  Also, before my surgery, I found that if I exercised rigorously (like running), the AN symptoms would dissappear.  They would always return the next day, but I found this interesting.  I am just looking for any feedback, thoughts, or similar experiences.  I am glad this forum is available to all of us.  Thanks!!

PaulW

Re: Post LINAC surgery questions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:15:05 am »
If your hearing nerve gets zapped by radiation. it knows about it and it will protest. That was my experience anyway
My hearing and tinnitus got worse a couple of hours after Cyberknife, and then got better over the following weeks.
My hearing and tinnitus overall are now better than pre treatment levels and near normal, with high frequencies taking a bit of a hit, thats 7 months post Cyberknife.
If you start running it will raise your blood pressure, which maybe enough to push extra blood past the AN into the nerve and to the cochlear.
Sudden hearing loss is theorised to be attributed to the loss of blood to the cochlear, and or pressure on the nerve or damage to the nerve itself.
Running may also relieve the pressure on the nerve temporarily

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:36:22 am by PaulW »
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 05:46:09 am »
Sometimes after I run, my balance feels better for awhile.  I think strenuous activity is just a good, strong dose of vestibular therapy!  Since CK one year ago, I've gradually and not so gradually lost most of my high frequency hearing in the AN ear.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

mattsmum

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:12:12 am »
hi - i had linac radiosurgery last july, i was in for 2 nights.
immediately after i had worse balance and tinnitus, felt sick and had bad headache. those symptoms settled over a couple of weeks. i was given to believe they were down to direct effect of the radiotherapy treatment.
i then had worsening balance from 2/12, lost more hearing with increased tinnitus, had worse hemifacial spasms and developed trigeminal neural;gia. these symptoms are ascribed to swelling of the tumour and inflammation of the surrounding nerves/tissues caused by this. i am told these will improve with time (when swelling resolves) with the exception of the hearing loss - which may or may not be permanent; and balance probs which may not completely resolve, but should improve at least somewhat.
interestingly - i had prolonged numbness from the pins sites too. i was told that it was unusual but did happen from time to time. to start with i could not wrinkle my brows either! that has improved, with the sensation being pretty normal by 3/12 after although still a little sensitive. i do still get some aches at the pin sites, but it is improving.
best wishes with your recovery,

vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

Shawn713

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:41:23 pm »
Thanks for your reply Vikki!  I hope you recover as much as possible too.