Author Topic: Update on Lynn's Recovery  (Read 2545 times)

hendi51

Update on Lynn's Recovery
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:19:41 am »
Lynn is still doing great. He is having terrible headaches so we are dealing with them. He don't want to take his pain meds until it gets real bad. We just had a "talk" that we was going to take them as prescribed and stay on top of the pain and dizziness. After all it will only be a week tomorrow that he had a translab craniotomy!
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Update on Lynn's Recovery
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:28 am »
So sorry about Lynn's struggle with headaches.  Hopefully as the swelling goes down, they will subside.  In the meantime, I am with you ...... right now, it is far better to stay ahead of the headache with pain meds than to try to get it under control after it is already horrible.

It might not hurt to contact the surgeon's office, just to make sure he is taking the meds correctly.  Is he still on steroids or can he not take them for some other reason?  Usually they help reduce the swelling.

Have him drink lots and lots of water (maybe flavored with some juice), fresh fruits, whole grains, etc. in addition to the stool softener.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:06:44 pm by CHD63 »
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:51:05 am »
Please keep taking the pain meds to keep on top of the pain.     Try some Seno kot or Miralax or warm prune juice besides the stool softener and keep drinking lots of liquids to help the stools.  Pain meds are constipating but take what ever stool meds you like best to avoid straining.           He is just barely past surgery.  The first 2 weeks are hard and things get better for most after that.     I always had  trouble sleeping too for the first 2 weeks.      You can try some heat or cold on the neck to see if that helps.     Most surgeons like to answer your questions and mine has a special no for us to use post op.            It will get better in time.                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

BostonBill

• Aside from tumor, picture of health, living dream
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:52:16 am »
Sorry to read about Lynn's headaches, definitely one we all hope to avoid! I am not much of a med guy either.
But I am going to listen and follow the experts advise and directions with this one. Especially for the first couple of months.
Best of luck!
Bill
Diagnosed Dec 21, 2010, 1.75 x 1.75cm plan is for retrosigmoid removal scheduled for June 15th at MGH by Dr Barker & Dr Lee. Putting off so I may enjoy my sons senior year varsity hockey, lacrosse seasons and graduation. That and our annual trip to Cancun in May.

MNTim

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:08:55 am »
I have never been much of a meds guy but after hearing nurse after nurse tell me that there is no reason not to take them I became more accepting.  As stated the only drawback is constipation but that can be taken care of with the proper meds also.  Believe me they work.  I have had so many stool softening cocktails I don't know where to begin.  Senna and Ducolax work really well when take regularly.

It does get better, hopefully soon.
Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 02:53:15 pm »
Yeah, I am not the med type of person either, but I agree with everyone. He's had brain surgery, this is not like stubbing your toe and then insisting on percocate or Vicodin for the pain.  Follow the doc's orders, at which point when he does start to feel better start weaning off them.  Otherwise, I am glad he's doing well.  Please insist he takes the meds for his own comfort!!

Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston