Author Topic: Look at radiation  (Read 2226 times)

brucea

Look at radiation
« on: May 02, 2011, 11:46:42 am »
I am hoping for a little help.  I have been on the "W & W" for going on 3 years.  According to the last MRI, the facial schwannoma has almost double in size during that period of time.  The drs in Dallas @ UT Southwestern think it's time to do something now because of the steady growth and additional side effects. The last couple of years they weren't too sure of radiation and now he thinks that might be the way to go.  My dr is presenting my case to a tumor panel this week and I'll have an answer by the end of the week. 

My tumor is 1.7 cm x 1cm,  pretty small compared to a lot of folks on this site.  At the time of the orginial diagnosis, the only problem I was encountering was a loss of hearing, now balance and numbness are part of the package.  A little facial paralysis but you would notice it if I didn't tell you. 

Any suggestions of questions to ask? Has anyone been treated in Dallas at UT Southwestern?
Any help would be appreciated.   
1.7 x 1 x .7  facial schwannoma
Gamma Knife treatment - 7-12-11
Dallas, Texas -- UT Southwestern

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Look at radiation
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:33:00 pm »
Ann ~

To the best of my knowledge, your tumor is small enough to be irradiated.  However, I'm not a doctor - so this is simply speculation.  The natural question to ask is why the doctors now believe that radiation is the best course of treatment.  I would ask about the success rate with this procedure on this specific type of tumor.  I would also ask about possible complications using radiation on the tumor.  I'm not from your area so I can't offer any information on UT Southwestern.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:38:30 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

brucea

Re: Look at radiation
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:07:43 pm »
Thank you for the info.  My guess "not sure about radiation" ...it wasn't cause many problems and I was ok with the hearing loss and nothing else at the time.  Now other complications are starting--loss of balance, numbness and some headaches.  Also because it is a facial schwannome, I will lose some facial movement and sensation with surgery or radiation.

I am so thankful for this forum.  It gives a window into the future..hopefully, a positive outcome.
Thank you for your reply.
Ann
1.7 x 1 x .7  facial schwannoma
Gamma Knife treatment - 7-12-11
Dallas, Texas -- UT Southwestern