Author Topic: Disability Insurance  (Read 3068 times)

Chances3

Disability Insurance
« on: March 01, 2011, 09:10:59 pm »
I haven't been able to work since my surgery which was 4 months ago.
My company put me on short term disability which lasts 26 weeks.
I am very concerned about my future, because I cannot seem to improve further.

Does anyone know about long term disability and how it works?

Will I go straight to long term disability after my 26 weeks of short term runs out ?

Do I lose my health care insurance once on long term disability ?

Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: Disability Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:15:51 am »
I will send you a PM.  I do have some information.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

kzepol

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:17:54 am »
I am curious re disability as the stress of learning I have an AN after 5 yrs of hearing loss in rught ear has made working very stressful. Would appreciate any info on disability approval based on stress issues aside from challenge of hearing loss as that alone does not seem to qualify.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:58:18 pm »
Chances3 ~

I was retired before my AN was discovered but my wife was injured in a car accident (rear-ended) in 1992 and was forced to leave her job on short-term disability in 1996 and then into long-term disability when the short-term coverage ended (the usual 26 weeks).  In her case, she had to present a doctor's letter to HR explaining her injuries (spinal) and why she could not work at her job (claims supervisor at a large national insurance company).   She was required to be examined by another doctor the company chose (and paid for) as well as a psychiatrist, because she also suffered from depression as a result of her injuries.  They both approved her claim for long-term disability (her injuries subsequently required several serious spinal operations).  The company also demanded that she apply for Social Security Disability because, in their words: "it's an entitlement".  She applied, was turned down and engaged an attorney specializing in SSD to represent her.  It took 18 months but my wife was finally approved for SSI in 1998.  The company (she is still, technically, an employee) reduces her disability payment by the amount she receives from Social Security but she ends up with 70% of her former pay, as her disability coverage with the company guaranteed.  She is required to annually produce a letter from her doctor attesting to her inability to work.  She can be required to undergo an examination by a company-approved doctor (paid for by the company) at their option.  However, due to the many surgeries she's endured relating to her injuries, they have not exercised this option for quite a few years.  At this late date, it's obvious that she is effectively disabled, even though she is ambulatory and leads a relatively active life.  She takes many medications and has to limit her activity somewhat but she manages to have a fairly normal existence, even with her physical deficits.  I help her all I can.  My wife did not lose her health insurance when she went on company disability although she does have Medicare as her primary medical insurance with Blue Cross (company policy) as her secondary coverage.  I was covered by that policy (I had not signed up for Medicare at that point) and my entire AN expenses (well over $100,000. ) were paid by Blue Cross.  It's still my 'secondary' medical insurance policy, after Medicare. 

I trust this explanation isn't too complicated and that it might be of some help to you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 12:59:33 pm »
I also bought into a policy my employer was offering that covered me for 2 years only for short term disability that would help financially until SSD if needed and help in the 2 year requirement for Medicare eligibility... My company did not offer long term disability and people do not realize how lucky they are that they have it.. You always think that you will never need it and I made sure my daughter has coverage because as we know anything can happen at any age...

I was lucky I had this policy and now I just received SSD with the help of an attorney and thank goodness I did purchased this policy otherwise I cannot imagine how people live if they did not have any type of income ..

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.