Author Topic: Had an AN diagnosed 10 years ago this week!  (Read 3599 times)

Blowtorch

Had an AN diagnosed 10 years ago this week!
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:01:38 pm »
My AN was discovered and treated 10 years ago this week. I had the Gamma Knife surgery at UVA Hospital in Charlottesville VA.

I had 2 follow up MRI's after 2 years and 6 years and both showed significant shinkage of the AN! As of today my only symptom is probably 50% hearing loss in the affected ear. I honestly feel like my hearing is actually GETTING BETTER. Is that even possible?

I'm wondering now at this point if I am free and clear and this thing won't come back?

kenneth_k

Re: Had an AN diagnosed 10 years ago this week!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:49:47 am »
Hi Blowtorch.

I don't know if improvement in hearing is possible, but if you feel so, congratulations.

best regards, Kenneth

Mickey

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:07:01 am »
Congrats! This is great news which gives hope to show us all GK treatment works. Anything is possible, keep up the good work. Best wishes, Mickey

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 04:13:02 pm »
Blowtourch ~

Congratulations!  Thanks for that terrific 10-year update!  Frankly, most AN patients that have successful outcomes (surgery or radiation) 'move on' and don't think about sharing their good news so long after their treatment/procedure, so I truly appreciate you doing so.  Your experience will be a real encouragement to many, I'm sure.  Well done.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:39:13 pm »
Hi Blowtorch,
I will echo what Jim said.  Thanks for taking time to share your positive story.  This week marks the 3rd anniversary of my diagnosis and you have given me something to aspire to!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Blowtorch

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:08:51 pm »
Blowtourch ~

Congratulations!  Thanks for that terrific 10-year update!  Frankly, most AN patients that have successful outcomes (surgery or radiation) 'move on' and don't think about sharing their good news so long after their treatment/procedure, so I truly appreciate you doing so.  Your experience will be a real encouragement to many, I'm sure.  Well done.

Jim

Thanks my friend!

I was actually saying to myself, I should go find a place where I can put this news to maybe give others some hope and confidence. I'm sure AN treatment has progressed and improved since I had the Gamma Knife back in 2001. Do they even still use the GK? I was fortunate to have one available at UVA which is only 70 miles from where I lived at the time.

After reading some other stories here, I feel VERY fortunate! The only symptoms I had prior to the diagnosis was the hearing loss and the buzzing in the ear. Never had any balance issues altho I used to get dizzy driving over tall bridges and I don't anymore. Related?......I dont know.

Is it still true that we AN people are 1 in a million? That's what the UVA doctors told me!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 04:47:49 pm »
Blowtorch ~

You're welcome!  As another fortunate AN patient, I understand your desire to disseminate good (long-term) recovery news - and I'm glad you decided to do it here, where it does the most good. 

Is it still true that we AN people are 1 in a million? That's what the UVA doctors told me!

More like 1 in 100,00 annually, worldwide - and that number is slowly increasing as more people have MRI scans for other reasons - and an acoustic neuroma is discovered.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 08:33:47 pm »
Congrats, Blowtorch!  10 years is a huge milestone  ;D

Jan - headed towards 4 years myself
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tumbleweed

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:09:23 pm »
Hi, Blowtorch and congratulations!

Although it happens exceedingly rarely, it is possible to have hearing improve after radiation treatment. The "significant shrinkage" of your AN is probably the reason; reduced pressure on the hearing nerve can sometimes -- again, very rarely -- bring back some hearing.

I lost a bit of hearing in my midrange frequencies since getting CyberKnife (another form of radiotherapy) but I gained back some hearing in my bass range. So improvement is possible. Congrats on your successful recovery!

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

kraynok2

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 07:00:27 pm »
CONGRATUALTIONS on 10 years!!!  I hope it won't come back either.  Thanks for sharing the good news.
Sandy