Author Topic: Anyone get hearing back  (Read 3052 times)

devsc95

Anyone get hearing back
« on: April 08, 2011, 10:50:49 pm »
I had mine out on 3/9/11.  I was told there is a chance I could get my hearing back.  If anyone has gotten it back how long did take and was there allot of static at first.

Suu

• Better out than in.
Re: Anyone get hearing back
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:07:07 am »
Hiya devsc95

Which way was your AN taken out?
I'm wondering because I had mine taken behind the ear and sacrificed the inner ear and eardrum to get at it.  I will never have my hearing back in the left ear but coping without it well.
I had a lot of 'static' which turned out to be tinnitus.  All kinds of 'noise' happens from time to time like buzzing, and squealing and such but it's all on the inside.  :)

Have you had a hearing test since?  I sure hope the doctors are right about getting your hearing back as it would be wonderful for you.

Got fingers and toes crossed that someone bangs a drum near you soon and you jump from the sound of it!  ;D

Warmest wishes,
Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

opp2

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:46:14 pm »
I had mine out on 3/9/11.  I was told there is a chance I could get my hearing back.  If anyone has gotten it back how long did take and was there allot of static at first.

Nope, and I was told that I would not ever get it back.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

ombrerose4

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 09:00:20 pm »
My hearing was pretty much gone after surgery- the first 2 days post op I kept getting a weird sensation/sound that I guess you could say sounded like static. It was if the nerve was dying and by the 2nd day it stopped and i had no more hearing on that side. If the nerve is cut in order to get the tumor you will not regain hearing. If it wasn't cut and hearing is impaired due to swelling or other surgical issues, then perhaps you can regain some hearing.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:57:02 pm »
I never got my hearing back because my hearing nerve was cut during my surgery (retrosigmoid) and hearing nerves don't regenerate.

So, I am completely deaf in my left "AN" ear and I wear a BAHA.

Whether you have the potential of your hearing return, pretty much depends on the surgical approach you had.  Translab is almost a guarantee that your hearing is completely gone (in rare cases patients don't lose their hearing completely); retrosigmoid usually gives you a chance of saving it (but in lots of cases - like mine - you lose it); mid-fossa generally gives you the greatest odds of keeping it.

If you were told by your doc there was a chance your hearing would return, I'm guessing you had either retrosigmoid (aka sub-occipital) or mid-fossa.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Blowtorch

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:06:41 am »
I had GK 10 years ago and I truely believe my hearing is improving. My doctor told me at the time of the surgery I would lose my hearing in the AN ear......100% certain. Well, I never completely lost it and it may be my imagination but I believe it is coming back. The reason I say this is because I can now actually hear a phone conversation with the AN ear whereas before I could not.

kraynok2

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:21:59 pm »
I'm like Suu.  I had translab and lost what little was there before surgery.  I still have the tinnitus which I put up with.
Sandy

tweety

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 11:31:38 pm »
I had surgery June 8, 2010 middle fossa and have very little hearing in my right ear.  It has improved ever so slightly but the static is still there when noise is loud, when I shower or blow dry my hair.  I continue with the tinnuitis and find that it gets much worse in crowds and when I drink caffeine.  I try to stay away from the caffeine and just deal with the crowd noise.  I tell my husband I always bring with me the background noise.  Getting used to it after all these months and I just try not to get frustrated as there are much worse things people deal with daily.  I really don't like not knowing where sound comes from.  It is like a game to find my cell phone when it rings and I forgot where I had it last.  I can hear the ringing but hard to detect where it is ringing .  Oh well like I said a small price to pay to remove that crazy tumor.  Tweety