Author Topic: facial ?  (Read 2679 times)

reg

facial ?
« on: May 17, 2011, 02:29:15 pm »
i know this sounds like a broken record but my face is numb (likeness of novicaine shot) but i have no problem using my facial muscles ie., smiling, closing eyes, eating.  do have slurred speech though.   does anyone else experience this? ???
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

jerseygirl

Re: facial ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 05:12:27 pm »
Hi Reg,

I know what you are talking about: the face that can move but feels numb to touch. I had this after my second surgery. The damage in this instance is done to a trigeminal nerve, particularly, the fibers that control sensation. There are also fibers that control pain receptors, so I could experience the pain of a needle prick but could not tell that a drop of water was running down my face.

I woke up after my second surgery with the right side of my face completely numb; in 10 days only the portion of the face below my eye was numb. The teeth, palate  and tongue (right side) were  numb as well and I was slurring the speech, too.  This happens because the brain gets no input as to were the numb areas are , especially relative to each other.

At three months post-op, I got my first major improvement and all this slurring started going away. In June it is going to be 4 years post op and I am happy to report that I currently have a small patch of numbness around my mouth. It is very superficial and does not involve my teeth or my tongue. I dot no slur, either.

How bad is your numbness ? Did it improve over the years?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 06:56:55 pm »
You didn't say you called the Dr., I think you should, there are a lot of reasons for a numb face and slurred speech, be careful not to let it go unchecked....best of luck with it.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

reg

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:30:59 pm »
thanks 4 reply, the doc think it trigiminal related and its been since surgery n 06 nice 2 know urs improved so there is hope (its just stuborn)
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06