Author Topic: Baha removal, Transear?  (Read 6633 times)

mellowrama

Baha removal, Transear?
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:42:18 am »
My struggle with the BAHA device seems unique when looking at postings, however my new Dr. seems to think that many patients experience problems such as mine.

The short time I was able to wear the device it was good, just too many complications with the post skin area and pain.  I had the surgery nov. 2009 and after repeated dr visits, infections, ongoing pain I am now considering having the abutment drilled out of my head.   My Dr. removed the BAHA abutment (or the piece extending off my head) after noting several cysts, and the need for further surgical work above the area (skin sag) of the BAHA as it would not heal.  Since november, the skin was expected to grow over and heal within a month, it continues to open up/weep, and be painful.  Dr. now says there is a pinhole and that now the titanium piece within my skull will need removal, as he is also concerned about infections particularly relating to the titanium mesh getting infection from a previous surgery (Translab with Dr. Friedman). 

He. is suggesting both the Transear and Cros system, and I will see an audiologist today about these options.  Meanwhile I have a brand new BAHA that Cochlear has "frozen" the warranty, anyone interested in an upgrade device?  I would like to sell it so that I can purchase a new hearing device.
thanks, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Baha removal, Transear?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:29:41 am »
Melinda .....

So sorry you have had some significant issues related to your AN, and now with the BAHA abutment ..... not fair.  Just curious ...... did you go to a wound clinic for treatment?

As for the Cros system, many people have had good results from it and of course it is non-invasive, but does mean wearing devices in both ears when using.

Too bad about Cochlear not honoring a warranty ..... think I might fight a little harder for that.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mellowrama

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:04:09 pm »
Hi Clarice,  No, I went to my surgeon for treatment.  When that didn't help after about 6 visits, I went to a different one that is closer to me in New Mexico.

You misunderstood about the BAHA, it IS under warranty they stopped the time limit on it as I cannot use the device.  So my understanding is that it would be under full warrenty if I sold it to someone else...

m
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

cobbler

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:10:01 pm »
I too am having trouble with my BAHA - the device works great but the area will not heal. Had initial surgery in 10/10 - had the abutment uncovered 2/11. Just went back to the doctor today because it is infected again! It is so sore - my entire scalp is sore
 :(  I had no pain at all after removal of my tumor, but this BAHA has been a doooooozy!

On a new antibiotic, so hopefully it will clear. I am worried about the skin covering it while it "tries" to heal as there is no way that I can attach the actual BAHA. It has never felt right since the uncovering. Very weepy and sore. Also, I have not heard of a wound clinic. I may have to check into that.

When you say that they shaved down the abutment, do you mean they made it flat so the skin would cover it? My concern is the piece that is under the skin. If your body rejects it, what do they do?

Hopefully you can sell the BAHA - it certainly is alot of money and it not benefit. I suppose that is the risk we take with putting foreign bodies in our bodies  :(
Misty Cobb

moe

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47:42 pm »
Melinda and Misty,
Sorry to hear about your BAHA "boo hoos". My original BAHA was a "boo hoo" ~ my referral to an abutment that just never healed, and get getting infected. My titanium screw is fine though.

Misty, I ended up getting the abutment unscrewed, waited a couple of years, and got a new abutment screwed in which hasn't given my any problems.

Hope it heals up for you...
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:12:21 am »
My struggle with the BAHA device seems unique when looking at postings, however my new Dr. seems to think that many patients experience problems such as mine.

Melinda -

I'm sorry to hear that your are still having troubles with your BAHA.  Although I'm not a doctor, I can tell you with 100% confidence that your troubles are very unique.  I work with a lot of BAHA recipients through my volunteering with Cochlear and I rarely run across a story like yours.  It's a shame you've had to deal with all of this.

If it were me, I'd look into the TransEar (instead of the Cros); I've heard lots of great things about the TransEar but few about the Cros.

Misty -

sometimes people have troubles with their BAHA site healing; not the norm, but it happens.  Once that area has healed you shouldn't have an issue with the skin growing over the abutment.  Typically if you wear your processor on a regular basis that will inhibit the skin from growing back.

Good luck to both of you,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:34:10 am »
Melinda~
How much are you looking at trying to sell the processor?  Full price?   Was it covered under insurance when you received it or did you have to pay out of pocket?  Just curious...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 07:05:06 pm »
Which processor do you have?  BP100?

What color is it?

Is it compatible with the Oticon "equipment" (rod in the skull) and the Cochlear "equipment" - or just the Cochlear.

More questions for those who might be considering purchasing it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways