Author Topic: Just did a 5k trail run!  (Read 4257 times)

ksiwek

Just did a 5k trail run!
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:33:30 am »
I just wanted to share a personal milestone with my fellow ANers.  Yesterday, I did my first post surgery 5k run!  It actually was a very hilly trail run that really tested my balance...I was so excited when I crossed the finish line!  My husband ran it alongside me and we plan to try to do another 2 this summer!

If any of you followed my story, this time last year I wasn't able to walk on my own as the tumor had compromised my balance so much.  It took me a long time to feel that I could get to this point...but I am here and it felt great!  When I first started jogging, it was a challenge to look side to side!  I know that I have come a long way in (almost) a year!

Things still continue to improve (I am 11 months post op) and just wanted to share my victory with people who really understand the significance of overcoming balance deficits! 

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Just did a 5k trail run!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:45:50 am »
That is a great milestone. Trailrunning rocks...al the more so when you don't fall.

Congrats!

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 01:56:18 pm »
Kris ~

What an encouraging post!  Congratulations on an impressive achievement and thanks for sharing your success with other AN patients who will be encouraged by your positive recovery experience.  Well done!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:05:31 pm »
WHOO-HOO!!

Way to go Kris!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 05:56:00 pm »
Kris .....

Congratulations and way to go!!!
Clarice
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:58:47 pm by CHD63 »
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kraynok2

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 07:24:20 pm »
Kris,
   This is such great news.  I remember reading about you and thinking what a wonderful story.  The funny thing is right after I read that, my brother received the HEI magazine with your story at his house in Bakersfield.  He had never heard of the House clinic until I told him about it. That was weird. Thanks for sharing your story and your success.
Sandy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:55:08 pm »
Ah, progress!!!

Ain't it a beautiful thing??  ;D

Congrats,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kenneth_k

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 03:58:21 am »
Great!!!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 06:54:56 pm »
Congratulations!!!!

You are progressing faster than I did ... it took me forever to walk fast on uneven ground and even longer to
do hills ... I don't run ... did around track at Relay For Life  last year for a lap and that was enough ...

Continued progress wishes to you ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 07:14:27 pm »
So happy for your progress, Kris. How is the little guy doing?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

ksiwek

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 09:00:15 pm »
Thanks all for the kind words!  I will post some pictures soon!  Parker will be turning 1 on May 18th!  I cannot believe it.  He is simply amazing and I am very blessed to have such a happy healthy little boy  ;D  He has started walking and is curious about everything.  He has gotten so big and has a full head of blonde hair...I think he is looking more and more like Dad!

As for running....Donnalynn, I think that jogging has helped my wonky head.  But it is hard to say definitively as it could be improving the further out from surgery that I am.  But, I can say that it helps me keep my balance in check and helps me exercise my eyes.  I had significant residual nystagmus for months after surgery.  I still have it now, but MUCH improved.  While I run, I practice looking in different directions with my eyes.  The trail run really tested my balance with the uneven surface and new surroundings for my eyes to take in.  During the race my world jumped around a bit.  During my run today (paved road), I felt great and looked around and was able to look straight ahead.  My husband and I are doing 2 or 3 more 5ks this summer.  I think we decided to do a half marathon in September.  I will keep you all posted if I check the box for 1/2 marathon vs 5k route for our race in September  ;)  Either way, it is something that I never thought I would be able to be asking myself even 6 months ago! 
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Keri

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 10:34:11 am »
hi kris,
just now finding your post. congrats!! i love trail running (better than road running, but sometimes hitting the trails are just less practical than getting out and running on the sidewalks / road). i'm a runner too, and believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that running before my translab had a tremendous effect on my balance after surgery. i had already signed up for a half marathon before i even knew what an AN was, and i never thought i'd be able to do it. this was all a few years ago. post surgery, of course i felt horrible but then was able to run/walk a few weeks post op and slowly build up and complete the half marathon. i feel little tipsy sometimes, but running helps. i actually feel more tipsy at night or in a big setting like a mall.

good for you! if you sign up for the half, which will you do? and it's great that this something you do with your hubby too!

if you ever want to hop over to our 'let's run or walk or something' thread, you're welcome to join us and share you stories.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!