Author Topic: MRSA...have you got it??  (Read 4050 times)

Kaybo

MRSA...have you got it??
« on: April 22, 2011, 03:15:26 pm »
I don't exactly know where to put this so I am just going to stick it here!  I certainly don't want to frighten anyone but let you know what I just found out with my recent stay in ICU and hopefully alleviate any fears or misconceptions - especially any bad feelings like we had!!

When I was moved to ICU last Tuesday after my surgery, almost immediately after I got there, the nurse said, "I'm sorry but I have to swab your nose for an infection."  Being the overly agreeable patient that I try to be I replied, "OK" - even though I thought it was a strange request.  I then noticed that night after I returned from surgery (AGAIN) that the overnight nurse (Kelly, who I loved) kept putting on a yellow  robe when she came in my room and then taking it off and hanging it on my door when she left.  I think I even commented to her that that was a lot of work, but I thought that it was just an ICU thing.  I didn't really think about it much the next day as most of the Dr's (ICU), nurses, MY Dr. or my visitors never had on a gown.  About 11:30 that second night while we were waiting to be transferred to the regular floor, the night nurse asked Dave where his gown was....WHAT??? We knew nothing about this!  She said that I had tested positive for MRSA as a carrier and that everyone that came in my room was supposed to check in at the station and get all the garb.  OK....would've have been nice if someone let us know!  When we got transferred to the floor, it was kind of nice because it was an automatic pass to a private room since I was in SOLITARY.  The nurses didn't really come in much that morning and I felt like I had the plague or something (let me insert that I do think it is kind of strange that they had me on the MATERNITY floor - walking around with no mask!!).  It was horrible - all because I had something that I didn't even know I had and would have never know without that trip to ICU!!  My Dr. now is treating me for the "COLONIZATION" (what? did they take up residence in my nose for religious persecution or something?)...that I never knew I had...

I realize that MRSA is a very nasty little booger, but I think the whole affair could have been handled a littler differently!

I bring this up because as AN surgery patients, it is a given that you will go to ICU.  Apparently,MANY hospitals are routinely checking for MRSA as you come in so that IF you have a problem later on, they can say that you came into their facility with the little friend!!!

K   ;D

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: MRSA...have you got it??
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 03:51:10 pm »
Kay ~

Your recent hospitalization was apparently full of complications.  Thanks for alerting us to the MRSA problem and how hospitals try to deal with it, including blaming the patient for bringing it into the facility. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 03:55:35 pm »
This is what my smaller rural hospital is doing also.   It was not being done when I left.   Not for just ICU patients.  Not sure if have to meet some criteria or of all new admits are.    I know someone who's husband was swabbed for it.     I wouldn't doubt that I am a carrier also since around my share of MRSA.      Most will stay just that way also and not go on to develop a whole infection.        I know the nurses gowned up so they would prevent from giving to any other patients but i am not sure why family would have to since are around you daily.        It is a pain to have to be in isolation.          Did they have you wear a gown when you were out walking.    It would not be considered an air borne germ so why no mask.                Good to pass this along as there is more infection control than used to be.                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 03:57:45 pm »
I should have added that you were not informed well of this.         They also want to make sure  if you were this prior to admission so that it is known that you did not receive it while a patient.                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 12:15:22 pm »
And your saga continues....   You are a medical reality show, all by yourself.   I wonder if everyone thought that somebody else had told you what was going on.  Strange, for sure

Sue in Vancouver

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:52:44 pm »
I sure hope everyone doesn't think I'm just some big ole nut just making all this up!  It's too crazy for me the even come up with all this! :o

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 05:21:12 pm »
Hey...meningitis will get you a private room too :-) Wow...I know you are a good hostess and always want everyone to feel at home, but MRSA?  What do they do for you now in order to dislodge your lodgers? Life with you is never dull! ;) ;)
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 06:41:47 am »
Kay,

Rest assured, we all KNEW you were a big ole nut long before this latest medical adventure of yours!   ;D

Don't know if I've got "it", but since I've taken care of many patients over the years that did, I wouldn't be surprised.  And that's probably not the strangest thing I've been exposed to.   :-\

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 07:16:17 am »
Wow! I'm in good company...another NUT with weird things! ::)

;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:27:41 am »
Guilty as charged!   ;D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:32:09 am »
Hey K,
I was "swabbed" in the ICU after my cheek implant surgery (routine thing), but they didn't come back with gowns after that ;) :D

I agree, could have been handled a LITTLE bit differently. It is so common place, they forget to tell the patient and visitors. So it must not have been that big of a deal if they didn't mention it to Dave.

Just my personal opinion. MRSA is sooo common, they were just being extra cautious, again IMO. (but I am not a doctor, remember ;) )

I had trace MRSA on my abutment drainage from the BAHA on my original brain surgery. I don't even think they treated me with antibiotic....

So just be extra careful with handwashing and all that.
Hope you are feeling a bit stronger every day :) :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty