Author Topic: Post op activity level  (Read 3486 times)

Itheus

Post op activity level
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:31:45 pm »
Hello!

I am scheduled for surgery on July 21st.  I'm posting on the post-op board because I just have a couple of questions.

I have lost about 45 pounds in the last year by staying active.  I'm the type of person that can lose weight pretty easily by staying active and watching what I eat, but also can gain weight easily by not staying active.  What sort activity level can I expect a month or two after my surgery?  I understand this varies, but am looking for a general idea.

I've also really taken up biking.  I understand the balance issue post surgery...will I ever be able to bike again?  Or will this be a dangerous activiy due to potential balance issues?

Any of your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

May thanks in advance!

ombrerose4

Re: Post op activity level
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:07:28 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum. Post surgery outcomes are quite varied. Some people experience a great deal of fatigue and others bounce right back. It's best to assume you will need at least 6-8 weeks of rest and good nutrition in order for your body to heal. After that it really depends on your surgical outcome- whether you have any balance issues, etc. Best advice is to stay healthy and active right up to your surgery date. Good luck and please let us know how your surgery goes :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

staypoz

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:18:27 pm »
Itheus, ombrerose4 said it all.  Everyone's experience is different.  I have been able to bike since the surgery, but I know that others have found it too difficult. 

Be faithful in doing the eye and balance exercises they start you on while you're still in the hospital.  The therapists in the hospital suggested I see a vestibular therapist when I was discharged.  There wasn't one in my area, so I went to see a physical therapist I'd seen before and he worked with me on my balance.  Best thing I ever did.

Best of luck to you!
staypoz

JAndrews

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:46:22 pm »
I can't ride a bike anymore. And most fair rides/ disney rides send my head into a spin. Also certain video games. I was tired/fatigued for about a year after surgery. I needed alot of naps and atleast 9- 10 hours of sleep before being able to put in a full work day. I really didn't feel like myself again, energy wise for about a year. No lift restrictions 4 weeks post op
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:38:03 pm »
Lots of athletes on the Forum - I'm one myself from time to time; haven't been too consistent lately though ::)

I can run and I can bike - haven't attempted inline skating since my surgery almost 4 years ago.  I'm simply not brave enough.

It took me a year to be able to bike again, but mainly I believe because I tried it, ran my bike into a bush, and promptly gave up.

A year later I tried it without any problem at all.  So my best advice on the biking is don't give up - keep trying until you can do it again.

Your balance will improve over time; just take it slow and be careful.  Everyone's AN Journey and recovery is somewhat unique, so listen to your body and you'll do fine.

Good luck,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

opp2

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:41:24 am »
I was a very active Crossfitter before my surgery. I worked out quite a bit but as my surgery date came closer, so did my symptoms increase with working up too much of a sweat or increase in heart rate.

After surgery, I started with walking on my tread mill within a couple of weeks. I have handrails so I just hung on to it. I obeyed the instructions of my surgeons and didn't go back to Crossfit until about 6 weeks out. Then I started out very light weights and low reps.

I am had enough energy but like lots of others, you really will need your rest the first 4-6 weeks for sure. Take that time, eat sensibly. Maybe use a calorie tracker like LiveStrong to keep you in line with what you need to eat to maintain your weight.

10 months later, I am back to working out regularly (well when work doesn't interfere with it that is). I still get dizzy spells now and then. I believe it may be scar tissue, or lack of proper nutrition before a work out. Who knows.

Good Luck!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 10:24:31 am »
Even though I had quite a few "problems" to overcome and it has taken me a while - mainly because I had 3 girlies in there and was just too busy for ME - I can pretty much do anything I want.  Of course, I am a little more careful!  I can even still snow ski and tried wake boarding for the first time this summer (I'd waterskiied before surgery but just hadn't had the chance since) - the guy that had the boat was surprised that I instantly and naturally "turned" - I had told him all my balance woes ahead of time!  When I had surgery (a LONG time ago), they told me never to try riding a bike again - I threw caution to the wind in Nov and gave it a whirl - went great!!

You can do whatever you set your mind to - just do it with care and know it may take some time!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Itheus

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 12:21:25 pm »
Thank you all for you responses.

My surgery isn't until July 21st, so I am going to try and trim down as much as possible before.  The calorie counting is also an excellent idea.  I've used Fitday in the past to count calories to help get over a herniated disc - the weight loss helped tremendously.  It's been a while since I've used the website, so I almost forgot about it!

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 05:24:31 pm »
Also, walking after is a GREAT thing!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 09:48:40 pm »
i kept running up until just a few days before my surgery. i was afraid i'd totally lose my fitness level. i walked a bit a week or so after (it was so cold out and i had bad headaches but just needed to do something). i had already signed up for a half marathon a couple of months post surgery (when i signed up i didn't even know i had an AN). i was able to slowly build up mileage and slowly complete the half about 8 weeks post op.

i've been biking too - i always wear a helmet and never want to go really fast because i don't want to fall and mess with my head! i don't have balance issues on a bike. i would like to get a mirror though, so i can see behind me, because it doens't feel 'right' to look behind me. most of my balance issues are when walking around in the dark, or sometimes i just kind of stumble a bit like i'm tipsy.

so, keep moving and i think you'll be fine.. don't do too much at once post surgery (you won't really feel like it anyway), but once you're able to get moving again, i hope all will be well and you'll be able to do everything you could before.  i really think being fit going into surgery helps a lot on the other side. but that's probably one of those obvious statements!

keep us posted!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!