Author Topic: My right side of the body feels desensitized but my AN was on my left!  (Read 2495 times)

micca82

Hi, all

I had my 5cm AN removed about 3 1/2 weeks ago, and I realized a couple of days ago that my right side of the body doesn't feel so normal. My AN was on my left and my left arm and leg is weak (more like 'lacking coordination') and that was expected but I didn't expect my right side to be like this. I have good strength and coordination with my right side but they feel 'numb' somewhat all the time. For example, cold water on my left hand feels colder than how cold my right hand feels.

Does anybody have an experience like this? I don't know when this started but I noticed it two days ago. I was freaking out a bit and my husband tried to calm me down by telling me it's probably because of my swollen brain doing things as it's trying to recover (or swelling is going down) I'm trying to convince myself of this but i still am really worried about this

Any info is greatly appreciated. As always, thank you so much for all your support.

Michelle
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:49:57 pm by micca82 »
MRI found 5.1cm AN on left on 3/18/11: age of 28
Surgery 4/5/11 with dr.Tamargo and dr. Francis. @ johns Hopkins
Whole tumor removed, facial nerves in tact, but unresponsive
Platinum eyelid weight on 4/6
Left facial paralysis, numbness, double vision

God is the Healer

lauralynn

Hello Michelle,

I didn't experience what you are...but I know people who have had problems with the opposite side of the AN due to being on that side for such a long period of time during surgery.   When is your follow up appt. with your doctor?  I would keep a journal of what goes on every day.  Write any of your concerns down and bring them to your next appt. and also to the forum.  I will be praying for you...feel free to pm me too.  Keep in touch.  For this concern and future concerns you can also do a search to bring up any previous posts that may be similar to what your question is.  Just a suggestion.  Hope someone will chime in that can answer better than me.

God Bless,

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

sunfish

Michelle, when's your next followup with the surgeons?  I would call their nurse and ask what they think about your difficulty, and if they have any suggestions as to the reason and what to do for it.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

nftwoed

Hi;

If there was any incursion into the brain itself, I believe the right side controls the left side of the body and left side of the brain, controls the right side.
  Good reply posts all, I believe.

kenneth_k

That is correct. But there may be balance issues as well that makes the opposite side work harder. But since none of us are doctors the best advice must be - as always - ask your doctor. Hopefully soon.

Kenneth