Author Topic: VP Shunt  (Read 4552 times)

phx

VP Shunt
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:20:58 pm »
Anyone have a VP Shunt? I have one; got it not too long ago. If you do, what was the hydrocephaelus due to? I'm assuming mine's due to the radiation, but I was also put on steroids (been on them for past 5 months). I thought the steroids were supposed to help with inflammation. I'm just curious because before the shunt I was miserable (for 5 months). Doctor's couldn't really pinpoint the cause either until right before surgery to put in the shunt. Thanks.

MNTim

Re: VP Shunt
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:53:10 pm »
Phx,

I am experiencing repetitive CSF leaks and my Dr. is recommending a VP shunt.  How long have you had yours and can you provide some basic info on procedure, recovery, etc.

Thanks,
Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

phx

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:39:03 pm »

I've had mine for a month. I don't think the procedure took that look...maybe an  hour. It all happened so fast. I went into the Emergency room and had a CT scan done. My family was told the pressure in my head was really bad and that I had to have a shunt put in.

I'm not a doctor, but what was done with me was a hole was put in my head, then a long metal rod (size of a pencil lead) was inserted from my head to my abdomen. If you look at my head, you can tell where it is, but that's the only place you see any difference, otherwise it's not noticeable at all. I had a hard time sleeping on my back, but I'm getting used to it now.

I was in the hospital for 3 days. Considering that I had really bad nausea, vertigo, balance and vision problems, this has helped out a lot.

This is quite new to me yet too. I'm not an expert and will be glad to share my experience. Thanks.

Phx,

I am experiencing repetitive CSF leaks and my Dr. is recommending a VP shunt.  How long have you had yours and can you provide some basic info on procedure, recovery, etc.

Thanks,
Tim

MNTim

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 09:32:42 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Has your condition improved with the shunt?  You said you were miserable prior to the procedure.  My biggest issue is the annoying leakage from my nose.  No headaches or other issues.

If I have the procedure we will share notes.  It sounds as if he has planned for early next week if it is needed.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

phx

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:03:14 pm »

Yeap, I feel much better. I feel like a normal functioning human again. Before this (since January) I had headaches, was dizzy, had balance problems, etc. It got so bad that I couldn't even keep my eyes open anymore. It's only been a month, but yes, I feel that my condition is improving.

I hope things go well with your whether or not you get the shunt. Good luck!

Thanks for the info.  Has your condition improved with the shunt?  You said you were miserable prior to the procedure.  My biggest issue is the annoying leakage from my nose.  No headaches or other issues.

If I have the procedure we will share notes.  It sounds as if he has planned for early next week if it is needed.

Tim