Author Topic: Has anyone been through SBI lately?  (Read 4607 times)

chopper

Has anyone been through SBI lately?
« on: May 25, 2011, 03:19:18 am »
Greetings everyone,

Been awhile since I've been on here and I have to admit, I've been a bit curious as of late if anyone on here has had a procedure done at SBI, or known someone who has.   This year will be 5 years since I've been there (still going strong!), guess I'm just really just poking around to see how many folks have taken the "full endo" leap and how their recovery went/is going.

Did a search, but didn't come up with much, other than a lot new questions and informational posts from a 3-5 years back.
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

captoats

Re: Has anyone been through SBI lately?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:43:07 pm »
I have been to SBI for a consultation with Dr. Shahinian last November. Pretty impressive guy but much maligned by the mainstream neurosurgeon community.  You might find this article interesting.  Looks like the judgment he won from Cedar Sinai has been upheld.  David vs Goliath!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Hospital-Ordered-to-Pay-iw-2981942488.html?x=0&.v=1

LisaM

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:09:20 pm »
Very interesting article.  Those who like to dismiss Shahinian will say that he is involved with a lawsuit at Cedars, but what they don't know is that it is Shahinian who who did the suing, not Cedars.  Good for him that he won!  I believe that Shahinian is a brave man and a very talented surgeon.  Right now I'm waiting and watching until at least July 14th when I have another MRI.  I've spoken with quite a few of his patients and though none of the patients I have spoken with came out with hearing in the AN ear, nobody had any other major problems.  All of the patients I spoke with had tumors 3cm up to 4.5.  I'm really hoping to avoid surgery, but knowing that Shahinian is out there offers me a bit of comfort.  

In 2001, I produced and directed an documentary film on the Center for Integrated Surgical Systems and Technology (CISST).  The CISST partners included Johns Hopkins, Carnegie Melon & MIT.  Shahinian is on the cutting edge of where surgery is headed.  Right now there is this huge merging of technology, science & medicine; surgery, computer engineering, mechanical & electrical engineering along with robotics and radiology that will change the way surgery is performed.  It's a very new skill set that not that many people possess.  I look forward to hearing about other's experiences with Shahinian.  Thanks for starting this topic.
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

mk

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:32:24 am »
There is a post in one of my threads from a lady who had surgery last fall at SBI for a previously radiated AN.
http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=14715.msg979722299#msg979722299
Apparently the surgery went quite well, with no facial issues, even though there was a CSF leak complication. I have also corresponded with another lady (not from the forum) who also had very good results.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

chopper

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 07:21:10 pm »
I have been to SBI for a consultation with Dr. Shahinian last November. Pretty impressive guy but much maligned by the mainstream neurosurgeon community.  You might find this article interesting.  Looks like the judgment he won from Cedar Sinai has been upheld.  David vs Goliath!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Hospital-Ordered-to-Pay-iw-2981942488.html?x=0&.v=1

Interesting update in regards to that case. I do recall reading of that before, and that new tidbit of info certainly puts things in a different perspective to say the least.  Good for him and his practice, plus it brings to the forefront (yet again) that there are those medical providers and hospitals that stress profit over actual patient need.
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.