Author Topic: question about facial nerve  (Read 1693 times)

shells

question about facial nerve
« on: May 30, 2011, 05:57:12 pm »
Hello ,

I am another new person with a diagnosis of a 1.2 cm an I recently saw a radiosurgeon /neurosurgeon, a neurosurgeon , and a neurologist all
 in one day for a consult .It was a lot of info to take in so I might have missed understood because I was nervous. I saw the radiosurgeon and he told me that their is a 2-3 % of facial paralysis and that its permanent but after reading posts to here it seems that its temporary due to swelling from the radiation and talking to the surgeon it seems that's their is a 20 % chance of facial paralysis but it seems to be temporay . So I guess my question is if you have cyberknife and you fall into the 2-3% that has facial paralysis is it permanent ? and why? is their anything they can do for it like rehab like they do after surgery. The doctors all 3 of them recommended cyberknife which was the way I was leaning  but when he said permanent facial loss I didn't understand if its a different kind of risk than surgery due to the radiation?

Suu

• Better out than in.
Re: question about facial nerve
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:41:07 pm »
Hi Shells

While I haven't had CK but want to welcome you to the boards.  I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer your questions.

There is so much that can be done though, so don't think of the worst outcome. 
Read as much as you can, ask as many questions as you can, and stay as calm as you can while taking in all the information. 
Everyone is different and has a story to tell so listen and write out a heap of questions to ask your doctors so you are comfortable and have the knowledge to go ahead with calmness.

Hugs and best of wishes to you,

♥ ´)
.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•♥ ¨)
(,.•´ (.♥ •´ *Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: question about facial nerve
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:24:46 am »
Hi shells .....

Adding my welcome to this forum.

I did not have radiotherapy, but I do know that medical technology has come a long way in preventing permanent facial nerve involvement after treatment for acoustic neuromas.

One thing we do urge on this forum is for you to seek out the most experienced and most successful medical professionals you can find ...... even if it means traveling some distance from your home.  This is one time when you want the physician who has done extensive work in treatment of ANs specifically, not just tumors in general.

There are excellent treatment centers in several places in this country so check them out and get opinions from several places.  If you are leaning towards radiotherapy, Stanford in CA has an excellent reputation, as well as UPMC in Pittsburgh.  Both will evaluate your MRI for an additional opinion, without you traveling there.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011