Author Topic: Some Acoustic Neuroma Humor  (Read 5607 times)

Lorbis

Some Acoustic Neuroma Humor
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:42 pm »
Well everyone needs a funny story, even when dealing with brain tumors. Today was my second AN related doctor appointment in NYC.  It was actually with the associate of the doctor I first saw two weeks ago. 

When doctor number one put my MRI cd in his computer, he showed me where the AN was and began explaining things about it.  After a few minutes at that angle, he switched screens to obtain a different view of the neuroma.  Lo and behold, what appeared on the screen looked exactly like...well, let's just say it looked like it belonged in Playgirl magazine!!  I was trying not to laugh at the site, and no one-me, the doctor, nor my husband-said anything.  However, when we walked out of the office, my husband and I had a lot of laughs about it.  You can imagine some of the nicknames he came up with for me!

Fast forward to today, with visit number two to doctor number one's associate.  He pops the cd into the computer, and there it is, my Acoustic neuroma, in all its "Playgirl Magazine" glory!!  I did see a slight smile spread across the doctor's face, but again, everyone was polite and pretended we weren't seeing what was there. 

That is, until my husband could stand it no longer and blurted out, "Doctor, did you think anything looked funny in that last view?". Well that was all he needed to say and we were all having a good laugh about the shape of my AN.  The funniest part of the whole story is that the doctor asked if he could keep it and make a copy so that he could show it at an upcoming conference in California!!  Does he mean the Acoustic Neuroma conference that is coming up???????  Well, we obliged him, and he's FEDEXing my original back to me!

So, if any of you are going to the conference, look for me-I'll be in the X-rated Acoustic Neuroma display!!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Some Acoustic Neuroma Humor
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:54:07 pm »
That is funny!!!  Might as well laugh about it ..... or we would cry ..... right??

By the way, that conference in CA to which you are referring is for medical professionals and should not be confused with the ANA Symposium in Cincinnati that is for patients, families, and professionals.

See:  http://www.an2011.org/  and see:  http://www.anausa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=135&Itemid=134

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lorbis

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:06:36 pm »
Oh good-at least it will *only* be doctors who get to see  "d***ie", as I refer to my AN now.    >:D

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 02:07:35 am »
Thankyou so very much for the laugh!  I just had a look at my scans and it was 'normal'.  ;D

Cheers,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:27:47 am »
Love it!! Thanks for sharing. You know, might be a good topic for a session at the 2013 Symposiun "What your tumor looks like!"  :o

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

kaykay

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 10:40:14 am »
Oh that is too funny. Thanks for the laugh today!  ;D

kmoltenbrey

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 07:24:18 pm »
Thanks for the chuckle!  I have learned that laughter is truly good medicine.   ;D

Kathy
Diagnosed Spring 2011 with a Left ear AN
Functional hearing in left ear is gone, constant Tinnitus, change in sensation in mouth/taste, balance issues
Being treated at MEEI  Dr. McKenna

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Ghandi

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 08:28:32 am »
the last scans of Bennie ( may he Rest In Peace ) looked X-rated but the only one that noticed it was one of my then 27 year old sons ... and he was so sweet to tell people that his mom had a Peter in her ear ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

kmoltenbrey

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 02:24:41 pm »
lol  ;D
Diagnosed Spring 2011 with a Left ear AN
Functional hearing in left ear is gone, constant Tinnitus, change in sensation in mouth/taste, balance issues
Being treated at MEEI  Dr. McKenna

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Ghandi

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 05:47:04 pm »
Yep, appreciate some AN humor    ;D
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI