Author Topic: Gadolinium Allergy  (Read 7419 times)

kiwi

• Facebook
Gadolinium Allergy
« on: June 09, 2011, 02:33:45 pm »
A couple of days ago I went for my first MRI since surgery 15 months ago and I had an allergic reaction to the Gadolinium.  With my first MRI in Dec 09 I remember sneezing as soon as they injected the dye, no one really thought anything of that but after my reaction this time they say that was probably a reaction then too.  I was overcome with nausea as soon as the rolled me back into the machine so I was promptly pulled out and sat up, immediately a red rash appeared all over my chest and my face went red over my nose and cheeks.  It looked like I was sunburnt with sunglasses on.  Anyway I was given an injection of anti-histamine and sent to ER for observation.  The doctor in radiology said in her 20 years of working there she has not seen another case like it, and told me I was very special...lol. A bit sick of being special......Would be interested to know if anyone else had this too.

The good news is that my head is clear and there is no sign of the sliver of tumour left on my facial nerve.  I am so relieved to come of the whole AN experience with only facial weakness that I can manage with an ongoing supply of lacrilube.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Gadolinium Allergy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 06:27:33 pm »
Jacqui -

sorry to hear about your unexpected allergy; first time I've heard of this on the Forum.  So you are indeed special  ;D

A lot of my immediate family members are allergic to IVP dye, which is used for many diagnostic tests, but so far none are allergic to gadolinium.

I'm glad to hear that, despite your little "glitch" with the allergic reaction, your MRI showed a good result.

Congratulations!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 04:10:12 pm »
A person in our AN group had a similar but less severe reaction to the Gadolinium dye the first time it was given to her. In rare cases it can lead to kidney failure and even death. Gadolinium dye is considered "safe" however many diagnostic centres will only use it when necessary.
As MRI machines improve, the use of Gd Dye will be required less often.
The friend in the AN group was recommended to not have the Gd Dye again, as the next reaction could have serious complications.
Apparently people with existing Kidney Disease and repeated MRI's and allergic reactions are most at risk 

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 03:11:16 am »
After my 2nd MRI with gandolinium I developed a bilateral hive on my legs - I was told not to have the MRI with contrast after that.
Just had my 5 year MRI (I skipped 3 years) - all is well !
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 11:53:07 am »
My dad was allergic to gadolinium also.  He was also allergic to iodine.  It wasn't easy to get any kind of scan on him, but he liked to be different anyway!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.