Author Topic: tinnitus  (Read 8357 times)

Chances3

tinnitus
« on: June 03, 2011, 02:20:50 pm »
OK here it goes, another post for tinnitus.  I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease back in the 90's.  Last year I had my AN removed.  The ring has become louder and more obnoxious to say the least.  Sleep, no alcohol, caffeine, nitrates and a diuretic prevents it from getting worse.  I have read a lot, even seen some recent television adds for medications for ringing ears.  I'll try anything - why not, even considering acupuncture. So to all my new AN friends, could you all weigh in on this with opinions, ideas and results.

Thank you and God Bless.

JAndrews

Re: tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:38:09 pm »
I take 0.5mg ativan at bedtime and keep the ceiling fan on that rattles a little bit. When out of town, my husband always finds something for me that buzzes or rattles. I know how aggravating it can be. Sometimes regardless of whats there to block it out I just have a good cry. Mine is very, very loud, varies in noises and really stinks
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 09:44:41 am »
Chances3

I also have Meniere's Disease on my left side, my AN is on the right.  According to what my doctor told me is that the Mneiere's can "flare" up at any time when there is to much fluid in the inner ear.  To help me combat that he had me start taking a supplement called Lipo-Flavonoid.  It was developed by an ear doctor.  You have to take 3 pills a day for about 6 months before it kicks in.  It certainly has helped in my case.  Cost about $20 for 100 pills at Costco.

I even did a test on myself and stopped taking it, after about 1 month the Meniere's flared up again with increased tinnitus and balance issues.  So I went back on it and the symptoms have gone away again.  I certainly am not a doctor but I am sold on the stuff.

TJ

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 07:42:28 pm »
G'day Chances
Like JAndrews, I also take Ativan but take it morning and night although I'm on 1gram tabs.
I don't just hear the ringing of a thousand birds taking flight but also hear buzzing like and electrical sound and other weird 'noises' which I still find weird due to no longer having an eardrum or middle ear anymore.

Quite a few say that having another noise in the room takes your mind off it and that's very true although we have to put effort into it.  Once we start concentrating on the ringing it seems to worsen.

I'm also going to try Lipo-Flavonoid that TJ has suggested so I might be able to stop taking Ativan.

You are not alone dear friend.

Warmest wishes,
♥ ´)
.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•♥ ¨)
(,.•´ (.♥ •´ *Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 12:22:29 pm »
Your ears do not hear the noise. Your brain "hears" the noise...you don't need a middle ear. Think of it this way...I have dreams at night, and being sound asleep, eyes closed, room totally dark, I have color, three dimensional images display in my head. Your brain and my brain create these images, and it is just like seeing them with your eyes, but you really don,t see them with your eyes. Tinnitus is being created in your brain the same way, and it is believed to be started by a faulty feedback system in your ears. Once your brain starts ringing, buzzing and chirping, there is no way for your brain to turn these noises off...yet! Someone is going to get wealthy when they find the switch.

Mine noises are not that bad, or maybe I'm used to the noise. Keep us posted about the lipo flavonoid...hope it works.

epodjn

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 01:33:09 pm »
I saw an ad on TV for lipo-flavinoid. I have been wondering if it helps. I'm willing to try anything at this point. My son has it too, but for different reasons. His was caused by too many bombs going off too close to him in Iraq and now in Afghanistan. (he's EOD for anyone who knows army terms). I have always wondered if even though our problem was caused by different things if the same thing, maybe this lipo-flavinoid, would work for both of us. I'm willing to give it a try. Does anyone know if it's sold at Sam's Club?
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 08:53:05 pm »
A few dietary things keep my tinnitus in check:

1. Eat a lot of steamed leafy dark-green vegies (kale, collard greens, chard)
2. Avoid sugar and very oily/fatty foods (except salmon, which seems to help)
3. Drink lots of water (since you have Meniere's, this may not be advised)

Along with the other things you've already mentioned (especially lots of sleep), this keeps my tinnitus at very reduced levels. I hope it helps you, too.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 11:37:09 am »
Sam's club probably is the same as Costco, you have to order the lipo-flavinoid.  It comes in the very next day.  Otrher stores carry it, it just cost more.

Good luck

TJ

Mickey

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 02:12:27 pm »
I`ve had mine for 30+ years... I don`t think there is anything out that I haven`t tried. The only thing that may have helped me some what was neuromonics. I now would suggest a healthy lifestyle no loud noises and some soothing music on a good set of ear phones. After all these years I`m just so used to it, if you can say thats possible. Lets hope the American Tinnitus foundation will someday come up with something. Then for sure you`ll know there is a viable treatment. Hoping for the best, Mickey

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 11:38:27 pm »
I saw there was a clinical trial in my area for tinnitus a while back. I responded but they were only looking for those newly diagnosed, at that point I had mine about 3 years.  So I wondered how that particular trial went.  But James was right, if someone does find that switch one day, they'll be in the money! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

nftwoed

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 10:53:43 am »
Hi;

Another lengthy read: http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/tinnitus.htm
  There is yet much ongoing study of the disorder. Generally, the worse the hearing loss, the greater the tinnitus.
  The brain, not receiving the auditory signal it expects from the ear, sends it own signals, in search of.
  Kind of like 'pinging' a web site. I'd like to just mention my own feelings on tinnitus as I've plenty from both sides, but do feel too much attention is paid the subject. It goes with the territory. I realize some are more stressed by it than others, but sometimes seeking to stop, or control it, only leads to increased tinnitus.
  Best wishes

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 02:41:31 pm »
Chances3 ~

I've had mild tinnitus in both ears for many years.  I still have tinnitus in my 'AN ear' even though the hearing nerve was effectively annihilated by the growing AN (now dead, thanks to surgery and FSR).

I feel for those who are beleaguered by severe tinnitus that negatively affects their quality of life.  I wish I could offer them a remedy.  I drink lots of (caffeinated) coffee every day, eat whatever I want, drink a miniscule amount of alcohol once or twice per month and occasionally find myself in noisy situations yet I haven't noticed the slightest change in my tinnitus.  It's a low whooshing sound and, thankfully, I can ignore it 98% of the time.  Even when I'm aware of it, the tinnitus doesn't affect my functionality or enjoyment of life.  However, I realize that my mild tinnitus doesn't compare to what some tinnitus sufferers have to deal with.   I would advise against purchasing a tinnitus 'cure' because they are usually a scam and in the U.S., not approved by the FDA .  Manufacturers of these products attempt to make money from people desperate for relief of an idiopathic condition with as many suspected causes as there are alleged 'cures'.   

Tinnitus, like AN, has it's own support organization (American Tinnitus Association -http://www.ata.org/.  Perhaps you can find some more useful tinnitus relief advice there.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 03:26:14 pm »
Tinnitus, like AN, has it's own support organization (American Tinnitus Association -http://www.ata.org/.  Perhaps you can find some more useful tinnitus relief advice there.

Jim, thanks for sharing this link! I found it quite helpful for me (I have had mild tinnitus for years.... pretty well wrote it off until my AN diagnosis when it all began to make sense to me).  The volunteer list shows 2 people not far from me... and the site does give valuable info.  :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 08:49:23 pm »
I know TW posted some dietary guidelines, but I have heard & read over and over about limiting sodium / salt.  Seems like I had also seen to limit or cut out caffiene.   

Mine bothered me like CRAZY for awhile, but I did start to get a little more adjusted to it.   There a times like right now thogh where it is CRAZY loud again.....I think it is do to the rain & crappy weather we are having!!

Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI