Author Topic: Intracanalicular Portion of the RIGH IAC???  (Read 3322 times)

ColaBurns

Intracanalicular Portion of the RIGH IAC???
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:13:58 pm »
Say what??? I just got my "written" MRI results from the doc and the latest one from June 8th states:

4mm acoustic neuroma involving the deeper intracanalicular portion of the right IAC, near the cochlea.

Does anyone have any idea what this means? I tried to google it and found a bunch of scary stuff about brain cancer and stuff so I'm just hoping somebody can translate this into English for me lol?

Thanks so much!

Cola
Diagnosed June 25th, 2010
Acoustic Neuroma: 4mm right side
Doctor: Dr. Fucci in Chandler, AZ
I now belong to the Watch and Wait Brigade!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Intracanalicular Portion of the RIGH IAC???
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:17:35 am »
Cola,

It's just reconfirming you have an AN.  It is noting a very very small AN (as you know, AN's are benign) within the IAC (bony) canal where the VIII Cranial nerve (where AN's develop/grow) run.  Your's is near the cochlea.  Some stick out of the IAC and some stay within the IAC.  Not sure about the rest of your report but sounds like your AN is within the IAC.

Trying laymen terms too early in the am with not enough coffee in me but hope this helps.  Nothing to worry..... just a confirmation.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Silver Sonnet

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 07:41:07 am »
Haha!  Thanks, Phyl; you did a great job under the circumstances :)

And Cola, I know exactly how you feel with the "foreign language."  I never have any idea what the doctors are talking about.  When they say things like that in person, I just ask for a translation, but when I see it in writing, I tend to panic.  Luckily, my sister is a nurse in a neurosurgical and cardiac intensive care unit, so I have a built in medical dictionary!

Don't freak when you see stuff like that.  Just ask us or call your doc and get a translation.  One good thing about this is experience is that I'm learning lots of big new words:  Acoustic neuroma, vestibular schwanoma, and, most impressively, neuromafibromatosis type 2 ;)

ColaBurns

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:56:12 am »
Thanks guys. I'm making an appointment with Barrow Institute in Phoenix for a 2nd opinion. I knew my MRI's looked different than some peoples because the tumor seemed to be much closer to the ear compared to where everyone else's is so this makes sense. Just no idea what the heck it meant lol. Thanks so much for the lamen terms!!!! I really appreciate it!

Cola
Diagnosed June 25th, 2010
Acoustic Neuroma: 4mm right side
Doctor: Dr. Fucci in Chandler, AZ
I now belong to the Watch and Wait Brigade!

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 07:08:37 pm »
Mine was impacted within the IAC and as it grew it remodeled the bony canal, thus causing pressure and pain so finally had it removed.   Sorry you have an AN it is a lot to think and worry about, this is a great forum for information and support.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:50:32 pm »
Yeah, lamen terms help a lot  :)   Some of those medical terms used for the body are just confusing and can sometimes be scary.    But, yours is just explaining where exactly your AN is.

I do have to say though, it sounds like very good news.  I read your signature that says you were diagnosed 1 year ago with 4mm AN and now, a year later, it is still 4mm...??  That would be the best outcome you would want to see on an MRI a year later!!!!

Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI