Author Topic: Chelsea's second surgery  (Read 3350 times)

chelsmom

Chelsea's second surgery
« on: July 04, 2006, 09:44:42 pm »
Hello All,

Yesterday was Chelsea's part 2 of her AN surgery.  It was another long day for all of us.  She went in for surgery at 7:30 am amd came out of the OR into recovery at 9:30 pm.  Part 1= 16 hours and part 2=14 hours.  Total AN surgery time =30 hours.  The surgeons said this tumor was so old that it was almost as hard as rock.  They are amazed at this along with another strange finding.  The head and neck surgeon said that the ear canals are at a 40 degree angle in the head but with her right canal (where tumor was) it was at a 90 degree angle and this was not due to tumor.  This was the first time he has seen this in 22 years of doing surgery. 

In spite of everything that has taken place, 2 AN surgeries, shunt surgery, pnemonia in right lung, left lung collapse-twice, and a tracheostomy, she is doing great.  They had to leave behind a small amount of the tumor which will be adressed in 4-6 months with radiation.  Her nerves are intact but some have been affected like the vocal cord and swallowing nerve and the right eye is not tracking to the left. Her right side hearing is expected to be greatly diminished. Some of these are things that can improve when the swelling goes down and with time.  She has been in ICU now for 18 days and they expect another 4-5 days before she can move into a regular room then she'll go to a rehab room for a while to make sure we all know how to deal with the trach and feeding tube that they will be putting in her stomach area.  Right now they feed her through a tube in her nose.  All this is something my we can deal with.  We are just greatful she is still here with us. 

Chelsea had shown incredible strength through all this.  She just keeps her focus on each challange ahead of her and has never whined or complained.  Although, when she finally sees that her beautiful long blond hair is all shaved in patches I'm sure she'll start whinning.  You know, thats whats important to a 17 year old.  She really doesn't realize the threat this tumor was to her life as it was so greatly compressing the brain stem

Thanks for the thoughts, prayers, and good wishes.  My prayers are with you all as you are going through these difficult times.

Chelsmom

nannettesea

Re: Chelsea's second surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 10:05:58 pm »
Thank you for keeping us updated.  Chelsea is an amazing girl, and probably better she didn't grasp the severity of her situation.

We have all been praying for her, and know she is on the uphill swing now.  She is young, and will heal well and quickly.

You are brave parents.  Our love and support goes out to you.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

matti

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 12:23:27 am »
Chelsea is truely amazing!!!!!!!!!  It sounds like the worst is over for her and with the amount of strength and fight that Chelsea has, she will definetly recover quickly.

Thank you for the update and sending hugs to you and Chelsea.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 06:46:37 am »
Thank you so so very much for keeping us all updated. All of the prayers and wishes and thoughts are paying off and please let Chelsea know that we cheer her on from near and far... that I am in her corner, ready to do anything to help with whatever I can.

Mom, you are an amazing woman.  I see where Chelsea gets her fighting spirit and courage and strength. I send you hugs and hope that you are taking a bit of a deep breath as these hurdles are done.  Please take a little time for yourself if you can (or when you are ready) and know that you are a new-found hero to me.

Continued wishes of wellness, speedy recovery and amethyst hugs (for healing) to you all.

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 02:16:49 pm »
I concur with everyone else...you have an amazing daughter and you are amazing also. Be sure to take care of yourself, too.  Get lots of rest, when you can.  We are all praying for a fast recovery.  Wow, what a story you will be able to tell.  Chelsea must have started growing this thing at a very young age.  Hugs to all.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 12:45:56 pm »
I am so happy to see that the major battles seem to be behind you now. I agree with everyone else on the courage and bravery you both have shown. You are truely amazing. Tell Chelsea we all think she is soooooo incredible for one so young. What an inspiration she is.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

cookiesecond

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 04:24:45 am »
I can only echo what others have posted. You guys both show awesome courage and determination and God is GOOD! He will finish the good work He has begun.You are continually in our prayers.
Take care,
Lynn

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 06:08:03 am »
Amen Lynn!

My prayers and thoughts will continue to be with you...especially when Chelsea finds out what you let them do to her hair!  I remember those hair days at 17..."don't touch my hair"!  May each day be one step closer to a great recovery!

{{{{BIG HUGS}}}} to give you the strength you need to help get chelsea through this.  Know we're behind you helping you anyway we can!

M