Author Topic: 3 year anniversary  (Read 2830 times)

dlbenz

• Comcast Sportsnet
3 year anniversary
« on: June 22, 2011, 11:02:52 pm »
It's hard for me to believe it's been 3 years since I underwent my Middle Fossa procedure at the St. Vincent's Hospital (via the House Clinic) in LA.  I had my surgery to remove a 1.4 cm Neuroma on 6/26/2008.  Each anniversary since the surgery I've told myself I would log onto this site and give an update on my status but, sadly, I never followed through... until now. 

I hope giving more of a long-term recovery update might be useful to those of you who are in the process of coping with your own diagnosis.  Just as a quick review I will tell you my surgery was performed by Dr. Derald Brackmann who I believe to be one of the most wonderful doctors on this planet.  He clearly doesn't need the money at this point and does this because it is his gift.  He has forever had a positive impact on my life.

When I went in for my surgery I was told there was a 40% chance I would come out of the procedure legally deaf in my left ear (my neuroma ear).  I also know the perils of facial paralysis.  Nonetheless, I felt surgery was my best option.  I'm so glad I went the surgical route.

Dr. Brackmann successfully removed the tumor and saved the majority of my hearing (roughly 85-90% of what it was pre-op).  My 1 year post-op MRI showed the tumor as completely gone.  And I can do anything and everything I could do pre-op.

The only negative side effect has been a very slight amount of facial paralysis.  And I mean very slight.  Put it this way, I work as a Sportscaster on TV and I've been able to continue my carer despite this slight paralysis.  I usually have to point it out to people for them to notice. 

The paralysis I have involves my smile.  I am incapable of forming a full-on 100% toothy smile. If I attempt this move my face looks a bit contorted on the left side and my left eye lid will close half way.  So, I never give a full-on smile.  It is a little sad because I love to smile and I am self conscious about it - but hey, if I can still work on TV, it can't be that bad. 

Actually, if there's anyone out there reading this who has had similar issues and knows of any rehab I can do it improve this situation, I'd love to hear from you... Dr. Brackmann says it is what it is.  But make no mistake, even if I never regain that full smile, I feel extremely fortunate about my outcome. 

My dizziness is gone.  My fluctuating hearing loss is gone.  The tumor is gone!

The initial road to recovery was rough as it took a long time (maybe even a year) to fully adjust to having just one balance nerve.  I like to play a lot of sports, bike and and run on trails, etc.  And at times I would find myself getting dizzy doing these things even 10 months later.  But that too has passed and I feel like there's nothing I couldn't do that I did before. 

BTW: Some might be wondering how the facial paralysis manifested itself.  Initially after my surgery I had full facial movement.  Some 48 hours later the paralysis showed up.  Dr. Brackmann said it was caused by swelling.  It was terrible at first.  The entire left side of my face was paralyzed.  I had to tape my eye shut at night for a good 2 months and was constantly applying drops in the day because I couldn't blink.

But slowly the situation ebbed and I'd say by 4 months out I was no longer taping my eye and by 6 months out I arrived to where I am currently with what I'd estimate is 95% facial movement on my left side.

If I had it all to do over again, there's no question I would.  I thank God for Dr. Brackmann and the House Clinic and give them my highest recommendation.

Sincerely,
Dave Benz
Sports Anchor / Host
Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area (San Francisco)
1.4 cm AN removed 6/26/2008 by Dr. Derald Brackmann (House Clinic) at St. Vincent's Hospital in LA.  10-15% hearing loss in left (AN) ear.  Very slight facial paralysis on left side of face.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 3 year anniversary
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 06:00:30 am »
Hi Dave .....

Thanks for posting your three year update.  You gave a realistic picture of a very positive result.  It helps those coming along to understand there is life after an acoustic neuroma.

Just came back from the ever-stimulating ANA Symposium (5 weeks post-op at HEI for me) so saw both Dr. Friedman and Dr. Brackmann ..... fabulous team of doctors out there!

Did you ever check with Jackie Diels at Madison, WI on facial retraining?  She has had some wonderful success with the techniques she uses.  She is at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics in Madison.  It would be worth a contact.

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:38:59 am »
Hi, Dave,

I remember you well from your pre-surgical posts and the excellent blog you wrote! I believe you were a TV sportscaster with a Washington, D.C. station at that time, so congratulations not only on a successful surgery and recovery, but also a new job!

One of the reasons I remember you is that you mentioned in your blog something to the effect that had you been "59 instead of 39" you would have selected radiosurgery over traditional surgery. I took issue with that statement, since I was in my 50s at the time of my surgery and I didn't think that "age" should trump "good health status" in making a treatment decision.

I am also a tremendously satisfied "alum" of House Ear Clinic/ St. Vincent's Medical Center (my surgery was in January 2008, about 5 months earlier than yours) and totally agree with all your glowing words of recommendation. The whole experience there was totally beyond my expectations and I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

I hope that lots of the newly-diagnosed members of the forum will read your post in this thread. It's very encouraging to read about folks who've had treatment for their AN, encountered some bumps in the recovery process, and have moved on to return to a wonderful life. Thank you for getting back in touch with us.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 01:40:54 pm »
Hi, Dave ~

Thanks for making the effort to post your astoundingly positive update.  Suffice it to say that your experience should certainly be an encouragement to others facing AN surgery.  Your hearty endorsement of the House Ear Clinic is not the first we've seen on these forums.  There is a reason HEI is widely known and recommended..they do good work!  I'm glad your facial issue resolved and I trust that it may completely return to normal at some point in the future.  Now, don't be a stranger, here!  :)

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

dlbenz

• Comcast Sportsnet
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 04:03:09 pm »
Thanks for all the positive replies.  I will look into the facial re-training.  It sounds interesting.  And yes, Jerseygirl, I am the same person who you remember.  Great memory! 

I will try not to be a stranger here.  I feel a huge sense of gratitude for this forum and the good people here.  This site really brought me some peace when I was feeling down after my diagnosis.  Thank you to all!
1.4 cm AN removed 6/26/2008 by Dr. Derald Brackmann (House Clinic) at St. Vincent's Hospital in LA.  10-15% hearing loss in left (AN) ear.  Very slight facial paralysis on left side of face.

JAndrews

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 07:21:24 pm »
Dr. Brackmann did what no other surgeon could do for me...he removed 100% of my meningioma! He said he would and he did! I am 2 1/2 years post op--MRI a few weeks ago showed nothing:) I sent the films to Dr. Brackmann ( I live in Florida) and he sent me an email within in hours of receiving the films..just like he promised..because I told him how I was freaking out waiting to hear the results... His email said " I told you I got it all out and I knew you had nothing to worry about". He is not only a superb surgeon..he is a true gentleman..a kind and compassionate soul. I am so thankful that at a horrific/terrorizing time in my life that a miracle did happen...and his name is Dr. Brackmann. Good luck to you..and all of you..life is great!
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.