Author Topic: Recently diagnosed  (Read 4522 times)

ckoza1

Recently diagnosed
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:56:07 pm »
On July 7 I learned I had an acoustic neuroma. This is something entirely foreign to me, came as quite a shock, and I am rather scared of the thought of it. Having found this wonderful site and forum is helping a great deal, but I still have much aprehension and fear of the unknown. I do not know the exact size of my tumor yet because my doctor has not yet viewed the MRI, but he told me yesterday when I first saw him that the report tells him it is large. I am seeing Dr. Charles Syms at the Ear Medical Group in San Antonio, TX, where I live, and I have heard very good things about him. He will have a neurosurgean attending the surgery as well, and I am in the process of making an appointment to see him. Hopefully, as I go through this process, I can post experiences that will be helpful to others. I have jointed the ANA today for I feel if I am to get something from them (and I have gained a great deal already in a very short time) that I should give something back.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Recently diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:23:02 pm »
Hi, Chester ~

Although I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, I'm glad you discovered the ANA website and decided to utilize the discussion forums.  Thanks, too, for your act of integrity in choosing to join the ANA.  Your membership is welcomed and appreciated. 

Your feelings of anxiety over the unknown are perfectly normal.  Most every AN patient feels that way in the beginning.  ANs are relatively rare and we never hear or read about them in the news so when we're told we have one and that brain surgery is necessary, it's not surprising that we become apprehensive.  That being the case, your decision to join the ANA and post here is a good one.  We're a supportive bunch and can empathize with your concerns.  We want to inform and help, as we can.  It's what we do here.  Naturally, I wish you great success in your doctor consultations and an uncomplicated AN journey. 

Jim
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:38:54 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

deheisel11

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:47:08 pm »
Welcome Ckoza,
You have definitely found the right place.  There is a wealth of knowledge on the Forum  plus an infinite number of very supportive people to talk to.  I know that after intensive research on the Forum, I was much more confident going in to my surgery.  Best of luck to you and keep in touch during the entire process.
translab surgery of 2.6cm neuroma, right side, by Dr. Welling at Ohio State, 6-18-10.  BAHA base placed on same day.  Facial paralysis. Gold weight 7-14-10.

ckoza1

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 07:26:35 am »
Thank you so much for your comments and insights. I have read some of your previous posts and found them most encouraging. My concern is not so much the surgery or impending hearing loss as the postoperative effects. These cannot be known until after the surgery, but I remain hopeful, and it is people like you who give me that hope. Thanks again, and best wishes to you.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:57:19 pm »
Hi ckoza and welcome to this forum .....

Being afraid of the unknown is absolutely normal.  Many of the people on this forum can attest to the pre-treatment phase being one of the most stressful parts of the whole process.  Once the treatment decision is made and a date set, it is much easier to plan.

Ask away with any specific questions you may have and you will have an abundance of answers.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ckoza1

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:31:15 pm »
Thanks so much, Clarice, for the encouragement and offer to help. I have only been a member of ANA and a forum participant one day, and already I am feeling so much better and confident. Hopefully, I can give back some of that as I progress through this whole process. As you said, as the test results come in, and the plan of action is developed, it helps to relive some of the stress of the unknown. Blessings to you as well. Chester

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:29:10 pm »
Hi Chester~

I am in Houston so HOWDY from a fellow TEXAN!!  There are quite a few of us here.  I talked to a girl a few years ago and I am pretty sure she received treatment in SA but am not sure.  I need to check in with her anyway - I will find out.

I'm glad that you found us here - but sorry you have an AN!  Please make yourself at home and feel free to ask any question - that is why we are here!!  ;)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ckoza1

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:06:12 pm »
Thank you so much, Kaybo. Any information on SA that you can find out would be helpful and much appreciated. Blessings to you. Chester

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 10:11:56 pm »
I have jointed the ANA today for I feel if I am to get something from them (and I have gained a great deal already in a very short time) that I should give something back.

I like your way of thinking - which reminds me, I need to renew my membership. 

Welcome to the Forum,  Chester.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 07:46:39 am »
Another Texan in Georgetown...had surgery in Houston at Methodist...great outcome. This is a slow and long recovery, but I am glad I had the surgery. That might not be the correct answer for you, and there are lots of great outcomes here from watching and waiting, radiation and surgery. Ask lots of questions, read this site from front to back...you'll be happy you did.

James

kareno

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 09:40:35 am »

Hi Ckoza:

Welcome to the forum, you will find much comfort from this wonderful group of caring and giving folks.  The ANA will send you brochures with information which are a wealth of knowledge and informed me as my husband had a 3 cm AN. 

You will be in my thoughts and prayers!!

Karen
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon

ckoza1

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 12:19:29 pm »
Thank you so much to everyone who has offered their support and prayers. Just thinking about the friends and information I have here makes me feel so much better every time I get nervous about this and begin to feel sorry for myself. I believe these things happen for a reason, and if I can use this affliction to bring something constructive to the process and help others, then that is what I want to do. My tests will begin the middle of August, and then I see my doctor the end of the month. His inital reaction was that surgery is necessary for me, and he recommended the translab. Based on what I have read about the options, I would concur with him in these decisions as well. Waiting is not fun, but keeping busy with my usual routines and visiting here all helps. Thanks again for everything.