Author Topic: Got report from MRI - translation please!  (Read 3114 times)

onelove6366

Got report from MRI - translation please!
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:01:45 am »
Report reads:

There is a 1.8x2.1x1.6 cm right cerebellar pontine angle well circumscribed mass has hyperintense signal on T2-weighted imaging and slightly hypointense to gray matter signal on T1-weighted imaging. There is intense slightly heterogeneous enhancement of the mass with an enhancing component extending into the internal auditory canal.

Does anybody know what that means?

PaulW

Re: Got report from MRI - translation please!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:54:17 am »
Please note I am not a doctor so any information given here is in good faith only.
Always seek professional advise

Cerebellar Pontine Angle...
The area of the skull where AN's Hang out

well circumscribed mass
Lump

has hyperintense signal
Shows up as Bright Spot

on T2-weighted imaging
T2 Weighted imaging is the type of MRI that best shows up AN's as Bright Spots

slightly hypointense to gray matter signal
Something that looks a little darker

on T1-weighted imaging
T1 Weighted imaging is the type of MRI that best shows up AN's as darker spots

T1 and T2 has to do with different timing of the magnetic resonance signal that the MRI machine detects

There is intense slightly heterogeneous enhancement of the mass with an enhancing component extending into the internal auditory canal.
The bright lump goes into the Internal Auditory Canal

The Internal Auditory Canal is a little naturally occuring hole between the outside of the skull and the inside of the skull
Your facial nerve, balance/hearing nerve, and blood supply to the cochlear run through this canal.
It is also where Acoustic Neuromas normally start growing.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

mk

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:21:14 am »
 I am not a doctor either, but this sounds awfully similar to the report that I received when I was diagnosed. In short, it means that there is a mass growing in the CPA - cerebellar pontine angle (this is the "empty" space surrounded by the cerebellum, the brain stem (pons), and the IAC - internal auditory canal). It extends towards the IAC. Even though the radiologist obviously doesn't want to speculate, this sounds most likely like an AN (but sometimes meningiomas also have similar appearance). ANs usually start growing inside the IAC, and as they become larger they start to extend inside the CPA. See here for an informative cartoon:
http://anworld.com/stages/

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

JAndrews

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 06:23:58 pm »
my report was close to yours...I had a meningioma..
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 05:37:15 pm »
Me too...cpa meningioma instead of an AN.  The kind I had is usually confused w/an AN.  Drs. can't be totally sure until they operate because of the way it appears on the MRI and because of where it is located...going into the IAC.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.