Author Topic: Neurotologists in NC?  (Read 5533 times)

HeidiC

Neurotologists in NC?
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:59:30 pm »
I am newly diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma in my left ear.  I am in Fayetteville NC and will be refered to a surgeon this week.  My ENT told me it would be in Chapel Hill or DC at Walter Reed.  There is at least one surgeon/clinic closer that accepts my insurance(tricare) so I am going to ask him why I would have to travel so far.  I usederstand that some travel far for a quality surgeon, but I was hoping to find a good one close to home.  Even the 2 hours to Chapel Hill would be a hardship, but I guess its better than DC!

Does anyone know of a good Neurotologist in my area, or even a really good one in the state?
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Neurotologists in NC?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:18:28 pm »
Hi, Heidi.  Welcome to the Forum!

I'm one that didn't travel for surgery - had it very close to my home in Illinois - and I've never regretted it.  I had a great outcome and an incredible team of doctors.

If you search on "North Carolina" you'll find several threads (topics) that might help you.  Duke seems to be fairly popular.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:28:18 pm »
Hi Heidi .....

Dr. Fukushima at Duke is a neurosurgeon, not a neurotologist.  He did my retrosigmoid surgery in 2008 with good results in saving 20% of my hearing.  Due to no fault of his, my tumor grew back and six weeks ago I had translab surgery at HEI in California for total tumor removal.

PM me if you have any questions.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

HeidiC

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:08:42 am »
Thanks for the replies!  I am very early in this but feel like I am learning a lot.  Dr is referring me to Chapel Hill/UNC Neorotologist, so I guess we will get his opinion and go from there.
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

Cindyswart

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:26:42 pm »
Hi There, Just diagnosed in April of 2011 myself. My surgery is w/ Fukushima in August, went also to Dr. McElveen in Raleigh. Both are wonderful...
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 02:14:14 pm »
  The Neurotologist at Duke is Debara Tucci.  She is part of a Skull Base treatment team that often includes Neurosurgeon John Sampson, and Neurosurgeon Fukushima.  Several people on this forum have been treated by this team.   Let me know if you have any questions about Duke.   There is also a local Durham based AN support group that meets quarterly.  Let me know if you would like to have the email address of of the local group's coordinator.   And there's a VA Hospital across the street from Duke University Hospital, but I don't know if the same doctors would also treat AN there.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:16:54 pm by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

reg

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:04:23 pm »
 ::) my sugerical team included drs magraf (raleigh neuro xlinic) and fukashima (real character) excellent team good luck
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

Angel-1

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:55:30 pm »
I went to Duke University Hospital, with the team of Dr. Kaylie (Neurotologist), Dr. Friedman and Dr. Fukishma.  Great Surgeons and Hospital.  I do know have a friend that went to UNC with his AN.  He was very large, but had great results.  I also, drive to the AN support group meetings from the Charlotte area.  I'm about 3 hours for Durham area.  In the support group a lot of fellow ANers went Fukishma and McElveen, with great results.  I feel we are very blessed in NC to have some of the greatest AN surgeons.  Dr. Fukishma is top in the world, he goes all over showing others how to perform this surgery.  You can find lots of info on Fukishma on line.  I wish you the best of luck.  I found that as soon as I met the right surgeons for me, I knew right away. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Good Luck,
Angela
Tanslab on 7/8/2010
Total tumor removal
SSD, facial weakness (but facial nerve still intact),
balance issues getting better
Duke University, Dr. David Kaylie, Dr. Allan Friedman & Dr. Fukushima

teripo

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 06:36:12 am »
I am newly diagonsed and I was wondering why people opt for surgery vs.radiation? Also I am thinking of proton beam treatmments .I am in New york I would go to Mass.,Pitts.,or Cal. if my journey leads me there as they are the only ones with that type of treatment.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:56:00 am »
Heidi,

As others have said, you have other options than just the two. Really though, it is just one since Walter Reed closes forever at the end of the month. Another option would be closer and that is VCU Health Systems in Richmond. 
Good luck in your search!

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 07:58:52 am »
Teripo,
I'm sure you will get a number of responses about why one versus another. Essentially it is a very personal choice between the patient and surgeons they consult with. For some of us, radiation simply was not a choice because of tumor size. As you browse the forums you will find a number of discussions about why a choice was made. You will also find that neither choice is risk free.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.