Author Topic: 1 month post retrosigmoid surgery update  (Read 3953 times)

Phillies

1 month post retrosigmoid surgery update
« on: August 13, 2011, 08:46:25 am »
Hello,

I had my one month follow up visit with Dr. Sisti yesterday. I had the retrosogmoid surgery done on 7-15-11. My balance is only off about 5 to 10 percent and I can hardly notice it. I'm back to running and I'm returning to work in a week. I still have my ear ringing when there is noise but the doctor thinks that will go away. The hearing nerve was preserved during the removal of my 2.5cm AN but still no hearing. The doctor says I have until November for the hearing to return and he gave me a "moderate" chance of it returning. I'm not going to expect it to return so I won't be upset if it doesn't come back but I pray everyday that is does. Considering every doctor I went to, including my doctor originally gave me only a very small chance of saving the hearing on a 2.5cm tumor to now hear I have a "moderate" chance of getting some hearing back is pretty amazing. And even if it doesn't come back, I'm sure having a working hearing nerve might somehow help when it comes to getting a hearing aid of some kind.

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
Re: 1 month post retrosigmoid surgery update
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:42:50 am »
Congrats Phillies! You are now an ANer in the land of posties (post-surgery). I'd like to welcome you. I'm a relative newcomer myself having had my 3 cm AN removed on May 12, 2011 in a 9 hr retrosigmoid surgery. Really pleased to hear your recovery is going so well and that you don't have significant balance issues. As for the hearing, it's good that the surgeon thinks you could still regain it. Go with that! If a year goes by and you don't regain it, it's not so bad. You get used to it and it isn't that noticeable except in some situations. Now I haven't returned to work yet, so I don't know if it will be an issue there. But, I doubt it. I had significant hearing loss BEFORE I knew about the AN and i would just tell my coworkers to deal and to stand on my left side!
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 12:58:46 pm »
Jeff ~

Thanks for that update and congratulations on an outstanding recovery!  Your experience is definitely an encouragement for those now facing AN surgery.  I hope some hearing does return but, under the circumstances, keeping your expectations low is probably a good idea.  Meanwhile, I can assure you (based on my experience) that you'll probably continue to improve in other areas, including balance.  I'm also at approximately 80-85% of my pre-AN equilibrium (5 years post-op) and with only a very rare exception, don't have any balance problems in my everyday life.  I have the impression that you may do even better.  Again, congratulations - and thanks for sharing your positive surgery update.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 09:15:05 am »
Sounds like a great recovery  ;D

Congratulations!

If the hearing doesn't come back, you might want to consider a BAHA; you don't need a hearing nerve for that.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Heidi in Omaha

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:16:34 pm »
Congratulations! So happy for you! Thank you for posting such an encouraging story. My tumor is about the same size as yours and I will have the same procedure done next month.

Phillies

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 04:15:04 am »
Thanks. And I started back at work yesterday too.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 07:07:13 am »
Great quick recovery!  Gives others hope when things seem so dark.  Thanks for sharing your success story with us.  Stick around to help others.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011