Author Topic: Four months post op :)  (Read 2251 times)

Silver Sonnet

Four months post op :)
« on: October 09, 2011, 07:22:04 am »
I can hardly believe it's been four months since my surgery (ret-sig to remove a 3.5 CM tumor in my right ear).  I don't know how to set up a signature, so I'll say here that my surgery was at NiH with Drs. Asthigari and Kim, and it was altogether the best experience I can imagine when surgery is involved.

I'd already lost the hearing in my right ear, so preserving it wasn't an option.  The tumor was completely removed, and I had no facial paralysis.  I went home a week after the surgery, but could have gone sooner if I'd lived closer (home is about 700 miles from NiH).

Two weeks after surgery, I suddenly developed significant weakness on the right side.  I'd have called it paralysis, but Dr. Asthagiri had me get on my web cam and run through the moves they use to evaluate response, and he could see a tiny bit of movement in the corner of my mouth.  He put me on a heavy dose of steroids, and the problem cleared up completely in less than a month.

I went back to work six weeks after the surgery, although Dr. A wasn't thrilled with that decision.  I teach at a small university, so my work isn't at all physically strenuous.  I did find I had to spend more of my classroom time sitting down, though, and Dr. A forbade me to yell at my students (not that I ever do :)  Apparently yelling can strain your brain.

The second week of school, I developed double vision and could no longer make the hour drive each way to campus.  Luckily, my youngest daughter was available to drive me, so it all worked out.

Also at about two weeks post op, I developed a psudomeningocele--a pocket around my incision filled with CFS.  That put me back on limited lifting and bending duties.  The "bump" was occasionally uncomfortable because it was so full of fluid, but I was told not to be too worried as long as it was not leaking.  About two weeks ago, over the course of two days, the bump went away.  Since it's been gone, I've felt much better.

Now, although I still get tired easily and get a pain in my neck if I try to do too much, I feel pretty much like my old self.  I don't have quite as much energy, but that's improving, and I have interest in things again, something I hadn't realized I'd lost.  My balance still wobbles occasionally,  but it's improving all the time. 

Although I'm 54, diabetic and a bit overweight, my surgery was a complete success and my recovery, while rather eventful, has progressed quickly.  Good doctors are worth then times their weight in gold!

New girl

Re: Four months post op :)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:54:27 am »
I am so glad to hear you are doing well!  I am on the road of recovery myself so it is great to hear some inspirational stories.  I love the use of the web cam with your doctor.   :)  Best wishes.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Four months post op :)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 01:50:34 pm »
Silver Sonnet ~

Congratulations on a successful surgery and an eventful but ultimately good recovery!  Well done.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.