Author Topic: Returned to work today  (Read 4106 times)

rvb755

Returned to work today
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:00:03 pm »
Today marks 4 weeks from my Translab surgery in Los Angeles.  I started driving again on Sunday and returned to work again full time today.  It feels good to be getting back to a normal routine.  While it was good to rest and recover at home I was growing bored.  I work as an engineer so my job is not too physically demanding.  My day went really well, I was just tired when I got home and I did lay down and take a nap after work.  I am really hopeful my recovery can continue to be positive.  Thanks to everyone on here for their wisdom, advice and encouragement.

Rick
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

HeidiC

Re: Returned to work today
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:27:09 pm »
I am glad your first day back went well.  Good luck on continued success!  ~Heidi
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

JAndrews

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 06:59:40 pm »
Great news! I knew you would be fine! Picked the right surgeons.....and your life goes on!!!
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:54:55 pm »
Rick .....

So great to hear that your recovery continues on this excellent path.  Congratulations!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Brewers7

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:38:52 am »
awesome
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 01:50:41 pm »
Rick ~

Here's a sincere round of applause for your impressive recovery.  I trust it will continue apace - and I'm especially pleased to learn that our forumites were able to help make things a bit easier for you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 02:19:22 pm »
Congrats Rick and continued good health on your road to recovery... good work,, encouraging posts are always welcome to those of us who have not had our surgeries/treatments yet....keep it up!!!
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

schmidtkat

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 11:44:43 am »
Hi Rick,
So glad to know you are returning to work and that the first day went well. It was great to meet you and Tracy in LA. Hope all is well for her and that your kids' school year is off to a great start. I had a follow up yesterday with my local ENT, but no return to work date has been set. I'm recovering well at home and my ENT is quite impressed with my rapid recovery. I'm still supposed to take it easy. Right now I'm good for holding the furniture down. Best wishes to you and your family~
Kathy

mrmel

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 05:35:16 pm »
Hi Rick, what an amazing recovery, i am so happy for you and i hope you continue to do well. I am interested in learning a little more about your surgery and the size of your tumor. As i mentioned before i had a 2.5 cm left sided tumor 14 years ago and i was 8 weeks out of work, it was 3 weeks before i could walk again and then i had to do rehab to get steady. I could not drive for 7 weeks, and i had double vision for 5 weeks. I still have balance problems and of course they snapped my facial nerve during surgery, so i have some paralysis on the left side. I am curious as to what they did different that allowed you such a quick recovery. I know my tumor was pushing my brain stem sideways and was imbedded in the brain stem. surgery was 13.5 hours translab, they used belly fat, but never put anything over the skull like you with the titanium mesh. i think that is great. Any how if you would care to share some details, i would appreciate it as it may help me understand why i had and am still having a hard time.
                 Mel

rvb755

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 07:54:39 pm »
Hi Mel, thanks so much for the kind words.  My tumor was a large one - 5cm x 3.2cm x 3.3cm and it was pressing on the brainstem as well.  I am extremely grateful for the amazing work that Dr Friedman and Dr Schwartz were able to do in removing the entire tumor.  I was in surgery for about 9 hours and spent 6 days in the hospital before moving over to Seton Hall.  My balance nerve on the tumor side was already damaged prior to surgery so my brain had already learned how to compensate.  I believe that is why I didn't have much problem with balance post surgery.  Dr Friedman told me the day before surgery that if they had trouble removing some of the tumor they would leave some behind in order to try and protect the facial nerve.  I think this approach and mindset is fairly new due to the ability to monitor any regrowth with MRI's.  My doctors told me my tumor was probably growing for 10-15 years and sometimes I think I am fortunate that it was not discovered 15 years ago since it seems like the ability to treat these tumors has advanced so much in that time.  I hope this is helpful, and don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have any.  I am always willing to share my story.

Rick
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 06:53:02 pm »
Just caught up with your thread, that is probably close to a record to return to work after 4 weeks.  I went back at 5 weeks 6 days and could not wait to get back in my normal routine, I had a lot of healing left but just being back in my normal schedule did me a world of good. 
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!