Author Topic: Pain with cough 4months out  (Read 2330 times)

Kell

Pain with cough 4months out
« on: October 27, 2011, 08:51:23 pm »
Hi everyone .... I had an removal 4months ago at duke .... Did great .... Home in 2 days and back to work full time .... I do have a question .... I have a cold and coughing a lot .... Every time I cough my head hurts soooo bad ... Mostly across the back and just making sure it's normal this far out ? Thanks for your time ... Kelly

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Pain with cough 4months out
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 03:57:40 pm »
Hi, Kelly ~

Congratulations on your successful surgery and rapid recovery!

I'm not a doctor but I'm going to assume that the pain you feel in your skull when you cough is due to the incision site still healing and being sensitive.  This would be normal.  However, for a more credible opinion I would ask your doctor this question.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 06:32:25 pm »
I asked my doctors about this and my response to coughing and sneezing that would result in an instantaneous killer headache that I would immediately have to take two Alleves for.
They all said it was the Dura responding to the sneeze or cough.    I'm three month away from two years post and now longer have this response after much Myofacial Release Therapy and an excision with Dr. Ducic last May.

Hang in there.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 08:33:12 pm »
I'm about 17 months post-op and I still get the pain when I cough (not sneeze).. it used to result in a lasting headache that I would need medication for, now the pain subsides in a few minutes.
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 08:17:41 am »
Thankful for this post as I hate to cough, sneeze, it hurst so bad and then it takes a couple of hours before the headache goes away....... if I feel a cough or sneeze come on, I actually hold my forehead with one hand and the back of my head with the other and it helps.  i do hate the headaches....they suck!
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!