Author Topic: No more cruise vacations?  (Read 2600 times)

spgreenfield

No more cruise vacations?
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:22:33 am »
I'm curious to see if this is completely OUT considering balance is an issue for AN patients....I would suspect that it might be different for everyone - but curious to see if anyone has ventured onto a cruise ship to see if it is horrible or ok......

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: No more cruise vacations?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:36:45 am »
I have not been on a cruise since my surgery, but I have gone out on my boat, and it was no problem. I am wonky 24/7, and I am just used to being that way. My boat is a small Boston Whaler 17'6" and it rolls a lot on choppy lakes and that is different than a ship that makes those loooong rolls on the open ocean. Don't let the AN scare you away from giving it a go!

frenchjoey

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:36:18 pm »
Hi!
I just took the ferry from France to England and back. it's only 1 hour and a half each way so you can't call it a cruise really. That was before GK but I was  already feeling very wobbly and it didn't worry me at all. At least I knew why I couldn't walk in a straight line  ;D. It didn't make matters worse for me but then again it was quite short.
Joey

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:14:58 pm »
Hi Pam,

I took a few cruises after both of my surgeries and there was NEVER any problem. In fact, on one voyage, there was a lot of turbulence and a lot of people were seasick and throwing up everywhere. I was not! So, this type of vacation is not automatically excluded.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

glewis

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 10:40:04 am »
I had my left balance nerves removed with a translab Acoustic Neuroma procedure and while I have some balance concerns, I find the more I do, the less it concerns me.  I have found that being on small boats for 4 hours + can be tough.  However, worrying about it will make it seem worse.  I would't worry about a cruise ship.   If you do get on the ship and feel dizzy, worst thing you can do is hideout in your cabin.  I would get out in the open and walk and look around.  Get your head to adjust.  I ski, race cars and mountain bike.  Don't let your AN surgery hold you back.

:)

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 11:53:34 am »
cruise out? heavens no   lol i had balance issues because of my AN B4 so i have learned to deal with them. For me it is worse when i am really tired. I list to the left since my AN was on the right.

We took and we went on a submarine ride to see the reefs too. i was fine i just had to sit and be really careful when i walked. a cruise ship is so big if it rocks, i aint going to be the only one with balance issues   lol.  :D
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

frenchjoey

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 01:09:36 pm »
a cruise ship is so big if it rocks, i aint going to be the only one with balance issues   lol.  :D

EXACTLY  ;D