Author Topic: Complications from MVD Surgery  (Read 4588 times)

Cathicaf 23

Complications from MVD Surgery
« on: August 12, 2014, 04:27:26 pm »
I had MVD surgery 2 years ago. In the past 8 months I have been experiencing pain in the back of my
Head near the scar that has become increasingly worse. I saw my neurosurgeon today and have to go back in for surgery in 2 weeks to repair the mesh and for a screw to be tightened. I would like some information as to how long the recovery could be and to hear from someone who has had this type of repair following the initial surgery. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Complications from MVD Surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 02:22:37 pm »
Hi Cathicaf 23 and welcome to this forum .....

I am so sorry you have been experiencing such awful pain near your surgical scar.  That has to be miserable.

It is a bit unusual to need to repair the mesh or tighten screws so there may not be anyone regularly checking this forum to tell you about their experience.

I am assuming you are going back to the neurosurgeon who did your initial surgery.  Was your surgery for trigeminal neuralgia?  I had MVD surgery for trigeminal neuralgia 20 years ago in Pittsburgh, PA.  I had immediate relief from the horrible trigeminal nerve pain.  I had headaches for a couple of weeks, but nothing compared with the pain before surgery.  That part of my head is still dented in but I never had any issues like you are describing.

Have you thought about getting another opinion from any other surgeon?

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cathicaf 23

Re: Complications from MVD Surgery
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 04:28:28 pm »
I did have it for trigeminal neuralgia it helped a little took long time but came back. I was told that all three nerves were affected and that it was so bad that it might take longer than usual to feel relief. Last several months started getting  bad pain In back of head I couldn't even lay down on my head and neuralgia came back. I also developed ocipital neuralgia and neuralgia on my left side. Two months ago I had cervical surgery to try to relive the occipital neuralgia they needed to put in four implants. I was told that the pain now us from tip of mesh coming through back if skull and maybe loose screw