Author Topic: HEI travel cost?  (Read 2654 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
HEI travel cost?
« on: December 03, 2011, 05:17:13 pm »
Besides flight cost how much did your trip hotel etc cost? Not hospital bill. Im just curious.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: HEI travel cost?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 05:39:19 pm »
Hi Mindy .....

Seton Hall was $60 a night last May ..... we stayed 16 days.  We used frequent flyer miles to fly, but upgraded to Economy Plus on the return so paid some extra for that, plus bags.  Food was a wash since we would have to buy food at home anyway.  No more expensive out there than at home (we ate our own food in Seton Hall or walked to the hospital cafeteria ..... which was great exercise post-op).  We chose not to rent a car but parking is easy and secure at the hospital, if your family chooses to do that.

Motels/hotels in the area were much higher in price but Seton Hall was clean, comfortable and convenient ..... plus wonderful support from others going through the same thing!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

schmidtkat

Re: HEI travel cost?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:16:26 pm »
Hi Mindy,
We stayed at Seton Hall in Sept. 2012. It was $65/night and was very reasonable as well as convenient. The cafeteria food at the hospital was pretty good and quite reasonably priced. Car rental was not bad, but we were suprised at parking fees at a nearby hotel. We got a limo rather than a cab to take us to the airport and it was only about $10 more than a cab. That was  little treat for us. The family members with us did use the rental vehicle on my pre-op day. IF you have a GPS device, I'd take it along. Garman became a best friend of my uncle as he did the driving.
We flew with Southwest Airlines and they did not have a bunch of hidden costs or extra fees. They were especially accomodating on my flight home. They had a wheel chair available to get me through the airport, did a priority boarding pass and I was able to sit in the front row with extra leg room to move.
Hope this helps~
Kathy