Author Topic: How do you financially afford time off  (Read 3403 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
How do you financially afford time off
« on: December 28, 2011, 04:02:14 pm »
I'm not rich by all means. I am wondering how one can afford to have treatment and then time off? I only have 100 hours of ESL and 1 week sick pay. So that is a total of 3 weeks. My husband will only have 3 days vacation by mid February. This is when I plan surgery(nothing is final yet). Paying for airfare to LA & hotel stay & misc expenses.
Sorry guys just need to vent...more anxious & nervous...Thanks for listening.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: How do you financially afford time off
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 04:17:14 pm »
Mindy ~

Granted, AN surgery is expensive and unless you live in or near California, travel and lodging expenses at HEI can add up. 

Obviously, each AN patient is in a different financial situation.  Some can draw on savings and other sources of funding while some have to make financial sacrifices.  Some of us are retired or non-working spouses so 'time off' is not an issue.  In any case, although the financial stresses can be a bit daunting, this is your health we're discussing, not some vacation to an exotic locale.  Perhaps your HEI trip & surgery will preclude actual vacations for awhile, or you'll have to put off some planned major purchase (such as a new or better car).  I've read of AN patients that obtained a second mortgage to pay for their HEI expenses because it was that important to them. Of course, how you and your family handle this is your business but although your concerns are valid, the 800 pound gorilla in the room is the unrelenting reality that this is serious surgery and you want (and deserve) the best doctors and facility you can find.  If, for you, that is HEI, so be it.  I know, like others, you'll find a way to handle the financial burden.

As for post-op time off, again, that is up to you.  If you are unable to perform your usual job-related responsibilities, you may need to be re-assigned, cut back to part-time or simply  'bit the bullet' and take the time you need to recover under 'medical leave' provisions (no pay but your job is protected).  Of course, we hope your surgery is successful, your recovey is swift and time off from work won't be a serious issue for you or your husband.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:20:37 pm »
That is the plan/hope anyways is a swift & full recovery ;D. I do understand that I have to make sacrifices to financially afford this.....*sigh*. Thanks for the reassurance
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:27:04 pm »
Mindy, talk to your HR peson at work regarding taking time off through FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act).  Like Jim said, no pay but your job is protected for up to three months I believe.

Good luck. 

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:58:43 pm »
Many of us who had surgery didn't have to take extended time off, so pay wasn't an issue.

For example, I was back to work 1/2 days 2 weeks post op and returned to work full-time 4 weeks post op.

A lot depends on the job you do and how physically and mentally taxing it is.  I'm an accountant, so basically I have a desk job and was able to perform my duties; my biggest issue was fatigue.

Everyone is different, but most docs will tell you that recovery from surgery typically takes about 6 weeks.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MNTim

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 06:09:50 pm »
You will be amazed by the kindness of people.  Don't be afraid to ask for help. 

There are many opportunities to do things on the "cheap".  I am divorced and my sister travelled to Mayo (Rochester, MN) from Milwaukee (5 hours).  Mayo is nearly two hours from my home in the Twin Cities and it was winter so driving back and forth was not practical.  I did some research and found a church sponsored home that charged $25 per day for her to stay.  It was like a bed and breakfast, very nice.  Also check with the hospital's social work department.  They will provide you with alternatives, they deal with this all of the time.

A lot of stuff to worry about.  Believe me life will be better.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy