Author Topic: It's been a while since my last post  (Read 2439 times)

NickD

It's been a while since my last post
« on: January 11, 2012, 04:25:49 pm »
Hello all,

It's been 2-1/2 years I think since I posted last.  A lot has happened.   ;D

I was scheduled for radiation August of 2009.  In June I figured I take 1 big motorcycle trip as I wasn't sure what my balance would be like after treatment and, well, I'm not getting any younger.  Destination... Inuvik.  Got as far as the Yukon border before the big crash.  Suffice to say I broke almost everything and was lucky to survive it.   Concussion, skull fracture, eye socket smashed, partial retinal detachment, tongue laceration, 4 broken vertebrae, 8 broken ribs, hemothorax, wrist fractures, intestinal bruising, road rash, damaged knee...kinda hurt a bit. ???  Once they found my carcass, they got me out of the wilderness by helicopter and then to Vancouver BC by Lear Jet..I was out cold (morphine is a wonderful thing) so I have no real recollection of the ride. >:(

Radiation got shoved back until I was able to lie on my back with less pain...November/December 2009.  Post radiation everything got worse; balance, hearing.  The 1 year MRI was equivocal.  The 2 year (just done in December) showed (finally) that the tumor was shrinking! ;D  Hearing looks to be stabilizing.  Balance was bad enough to be using a cane to walk - this helped immensely with confidence by the way - but then I was able to dump the cane and walk unassisted.  In June 2011 I thought i'd give the motorcycle another try (not the one in little pieces near the Yukon, my other one!) and was able once again to start riding; nothing too adventurous but worked my way up to a full day by mid September.

Doubtful whether I'll ever make another attempt on Inuvik but less aggressive riding is definitely in my future.

Anyway, that's me.  Radiation was definitely the way to go in my case.

Cheers,

Nick
Rt. AN diagonosed March 2007
March 2007 1.1 x 0.6 x 0.4 cm
March 2008 1.1 x 0.9 x 0.5 cm
March 2009 1.4 x 1.1 x 0.6 cm
Radiation (FSRT) scheduled for August 2009

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: It's been a while since my last post
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 04:38:59 pm »
Hi, Nick ~

Thanks for your post!  I'm certainly sorry to learn of your serious motorcycle accident back in 2009 but relieved to know that you apparently did not suffer any permanent injury and are now doing well with much improved balance.  I'm glad to learn that your radiation treatment was effective.  Congratulations!

Your willingness to mount a motorcycle and ride again is impressive for it's courage and optimism.  I wish you 'happy trails' and safe rides.  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:09:55 am »
Dear Nick,
I'm so sorry to hear of this horrific accident.   You had no choice but to get through it but you are all the more powerful for it.    You are very lucky not to have had brain damage.
My only request to you is to please do not get on a motorcycle again.   Back in the day I used to observe and treat aphasia in young men who were victims of motorcycle accidents.   Needless to say their prognosis was very grim.

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:48:38 pm »
Nick.......you are lucky to be alive.....those are some pretty impressive injuries (I am a nurse).  I too am a rider and would love to take on a trip like that, can I ask if you remember what went wrong with the crashing?  Maybe if you got one of those scooters you might be safer (not, just kidding).  Hope you were wearing a helmet, sounds like you were.  Be careful out there.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:37:15 pm »
OMG thankfully you are here today to tell your story. I do hope you are recovering well.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012