Author Topic: Diziness after CK  (Read 1995 times)

mikeGE

Diziness after CK
« on: January 24, 2012, 01:30:41 pm »
Hi,

I love this site. It's been an excellent resource and many thanks to all that share here. ;D

I had CK treatments back in October 2011 for a small right side AN.  It measured about 8.5mm x 4.5mm at the time of treatment. CK treatments went very well.  The first week or so after, I did experience some mild headaches and I had some light-headedness.  The light-headedness would come and go. Both issues only lasted about a week and neither were a problem. 

BTW. my only symptoms prior to treatment were tinnitus and "moderately severe" hearing loss on the AN side.  I never had any balance issues except one morning, back in April 2011, I did wake up with vertigo.  That episode lasted about half the day and, thankfully, it has never returned.  Since it only happened that one time, I'm not sure if it was related to my AN.

Well, in the last few days, I have noticed that the "light-headed" feeling is back and this time I would say that it is "stronger" than what I experienced that first week after CK. Fortunately it is not a constant feeling. It comes and goes. It seems to happen near the end of the work day or in the early evening. It seems really noticeable when I am driving. Maybe being in a moving vehicle heightens my awareness.

I am sure this all pretty normal post CK stuff but I am just wondering if anyone else that has had CK treatments has had the same experience. I would not really describe this as a balance issue, but I guess ultimately it is...

Thanks,

Mike
9mm x 5mm
Diagnosed 12/2010
CK at Stanford completed 10/12/2011
Drs. Chang and Soltys

PaulW

Re: Diziness after CK
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 03:39:20 pm »
Whatever symptoms I had before, Ck amplified them for the first 5 months.
I had mild dizziness before CK, and the dizziness did get worse, but it came in waves. Some days my hearing would be bad but balance OK tinnitus OK, Next Day I would get tinnitus, and balance and hearing would be getting better.
These things were annoying, not dibilitating. If I put my mind to it I could do anything. Except stand on a stool on one leg in the dark.

Its now 18 months since CK to the day.
I feel better than pre treatment
Hearing still good.
Energy levels returned.
I feel normal once again.
I reckon I could stand on a stool in the dark with one leg again.....
Might give it a try later...

The healing process is slow.
The worst of the symptoms for me happenned between 0-5 months..
The symptoms did fluctuate.

I never thought I would get my hearing back. Not usual, but not uncommon either.
I thought I would have to live with that stuffy ear feeling, partial deafness, tinnitus, and bobble head doll effect for the rest of my life.
I am happy to report that I have none of that.

Very slight tinnitus when I am tired or push my self too hard.
Some hearing loss but still within normal range, no hearing aid required
Walking in pitch blackness tripping over childrens toys, and feeling normal about it, remains my last big challenge.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Richard_T

Re: Diziness after CK
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 02:09:14 pm »
Mike,

Your pre-CK symptoms sound like a mirror to mine.  I have a right-side AN.  It is considerably larger than yours, however.  It is about 2.1 cm (I have heard everything from 1.9 cm to 2.3 cm., but the CT used for programming the CK - yes, I had CK - say 1.9 cm.).  I had only the moderate hearing loss, typical fullness of the ear that comes and goes, low tinnitus, vertigo on only 2 consecutive mornings for minutes each time and the slight disorientation (maybe the bobbleheadedness that Paul is talking about) after some hours at the computer display.  I wonder if that disorienting feeling is related to the fatigue of working a full day, since you are having it at the end of your work day and I am having it after some hours at the computer, etc.?

I had CK only two (2) weeks ago.  After my second of three (3) CK sessions, the tinnitus got somewhat louder and has remained the same.  Since CK, I had a possible diminishment of saliva, which I believe is continuing for the moment (treated with Biotene :). My other symptoms have remained the same.

I am not looking forward to swelling and changes for the worse.  I would like to instantly materialize beyond the 6-month mark, but, alas, we don't have the time-travel technology, just like our medical technology is fairly primative. 

Here's to all of us having ANs with necrosis being fully re-absorbed in the body, all symptoms being relieved and all senses being restored to that of about an 18-year old!  A man can dream, can't he?

1.9 cm x 1.6 cm x 1.8 cm AN diag. 12/09/11
CK at Stanford 1/20/12