Author Topic: Multiple extra symptoms - psychosomatic? Should I request another MRI?  (Read 2667 times)

lalala80

The last few weeks since I was diagnosed with Acoustic Neuroma in January 23, 2012, I have felt like I have suddenly started noticing many new symptoms.  At first, before the diagnosis, I noticed the hearing loss and fullness in the ear, and a slight balance issue.  Ever since, I have felt like I started noticing headaches, and facial numbness and tingling, and some ear pain and more pronounced balance issues.  I don't know if this is all psychosomatic or what.  I am terrified I have one of those rare fast growing ones, and considering it was already considered on the large side at 2.3 cm to begin with, I feel like I don't have a lot of time to fool around if it is one of the fast growing ones.  I don't know whether to ask for another MRI or not.  I am worried that insurance will balk at paying for another one, and it will turn out to be nothing, but then again, if it is something, I could have serious problems if I wait for another five months, like the original doctor suggested.  My hearing tests are really all over the place, the first two were 88% and 84% differentiation, the third was with a different group and was 56% and the fourth was with yet another group and was 76%.  I am just going out of my mind with worry.  Has anyone else had a sudden onset of symptoms and it turned out to not be growing?

Sandy

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Sandy

I doubt anything I note may be of help but will try this.......... not typical but not usual.  IMO, with any kind of medical diagnosis that one may receive, we may become more perceptive to our own bodies, knowing that "something ain't right" that is going on.

I have multiple diagnosis (my AN is nothing compared to the other issues I have) and many times, I have sat back and said "oh!" or "oh no" or thought "is this issue related?" or such.  Once we become more in tune to our bodies, we can start to believe that things may be worse than actual.

Yes, it could be a rare fast growing An but where you just got your diagnosis (the Jan MRI is considered the "baseline" MRI), your next one should be approx 6 mos later (as your doctor noted) and at that point... your radiologist and dr can then determine if it is growing  or not.

So, again.... take what I say with a grain of salt as that is its value...... but know that we know that initial "oh, no!" when we all received our diagnosis.... and here I sit, 7 yrs later..... yeah, easy for me to say this or that.... but can related to what you are noting.

Hang in there........... 2.3 cm is not deemed "large" (actually, deemed "medium" in the AN realm) and know that we are here to help the cause. 

I know saying it is easy when I note "hang in there".... but know we're here for you.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

alabamajane

Sandy,
I would suggest you get a copy of your MRI and any auditory testing and send it out to House Clinic in LA (HEI.ORG) and get a second opinion. I agree with Phyl that it is "unlikely" to be an unusually fast growing type, altho I am no Dr, ,, but we do usually get more in tune with our bodies after a diagnosis of anything... I know I noticed more symptoms after diagnosis, but then I was w & w for three yrs and it did grow,, so symptoms did increase.. that said,, I  think getting free consultation with another Dr while you await another MRI is not an unreasonable idea...
That way, maybe you can determine more info about the size of it, and the location,, it may be that it is pressing on other nerves already due to size and location.. but another opinion is very helpful,, was to me anyway.. that way, you may be able to find out if another immediate MRI is reasonable.. but may want to call insurance also to see if they are going to pay for another one so soon ,, that way you won't have any financial surprises to deal with also!! :)
Good luck and try to relax some about your other symptoms,, you may just be noticing more now that you know there is something "there"... let us know.. Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26