Author Topic: Pre-Op Tests Inquiry  (Read 2470 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Pre-Op Tests Inquiry
« on: February 20, 2012, 10:59:41 am »
I am wondering what tests they do at pre-op? I am having it at House. i don't know if that makes a difference. Labs, Xrays, and CT? Balance test? What type of blood labs do they run? Curiousity is why I'm asking.

Thank you
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

LakeErie

Re: Pre-Op Tests Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:24:34 am »
While I was at the Cleveland Clinic and not House, the pre-op testing was a regular blood test including red and white blood counts, sugar, hemoglobin etc. ( a single vial.) An EKG was performed.
I had a "pre-op physical" with internal medicine that consisted of giving a medical history to a nurse and having vitals taken ( BP, heart rate, temp. respiration.) I provided  a list of Rx's I was on. A physician then reviewed that information and that was the physical. I then met with the anesthesiologist's resident who asked about previous surgeries and any problems I may have had with them, and then met last with surgeon's nurse who gave me instructions for the morning of surgery and answered my questions. No chest X-ray or CT's or MRI's. Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:29:29 am by LakeErie »
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Pre-Op Tests Inquiry
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:48:01 am »
While I am sure they customize which tests are done to some extent, here is what I had last May at House:  a complete history and physical with Dr. Stefan (the internist), an audiogram, standard blood tests, an EKG, and a chest x-ray.  Shortly before surgery I met with the anesthesiologist who went over my previous experiences with anesthesia and described his plan.  My surgery was in the afternoon so the blood tests, EKG and chest x-ray were done the morning of surgery.

They already had all of my previous MRIs, so no additional MRI or CT scan was done ..... no balance test.

Hope that helps.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011