Author Topic: Any other twenty-somethings out there?  (Read 2485 times)

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
Any other twenty-somethings out there?
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:11:26 pm »
I'm a newly diagnosed AN patient and during my research I haven't found too many other people my age with ANs. (I'm 24.) No offense to those of who you are older (you're all amazing!) but I was just curious if there were any other twenty-somethings out there in the same situation? I think ANs are typically diagnosed between the ages of 30 and 50 so I'm sure that explains it but if you're out there and around my age I'd love to hear how things are going for you. :)
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Any other twenty-somethings out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:27:55 pm »
Hi Manders
Welcome! I was 29 when I found my AN. Probably had it for 20 years. I remember when I was 14 my balance seem strange. I never had hearing loss even today. I have perfect hearing so my situation is a little different.
If you have questions or need to talk PM me. We are all here for you.  ;)

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:21:40 pm »
I was 23 when diagnosed, I had symptoms for something like 5 years.
I am now over 20 years post-op from that original tumor, I did have the misfortune of the tumor regrowing (apparently they had left a cell or two behind the first time) and had a second surgery to remove that.
My lasting "side effects" are" hearing loss, vertigo and poor balance, facial issues', eye issue's and tinnitus. All and all not too bad considering what could have happened.
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:24:29 am »
Thanks guys for getting back with me! I appreciate all of your support. It's been a bit of a struggle trying to find other people my age in my position. I actually started a blog so that people coming after me might benefit from it.
Kathleen, how big was your AN when you were 23? I also didn't think about the fact that it might come back either. I've just been so focused on getting this thing out of my head ASAP so I can be done with it and move on with my life.
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 01:26:33 am »
Manders: I never did ask the measurements, didn';t think to ask, once they said "dead" to my question of "what if I don't have the surgery" I really didn't process much more. I know the tumor was compressing the opposite postieor lobe of my brain and was within mm of the brain stem, that the surgery took 15 hours, the doctor's in Toronto said something to the effect of never seeing one so large is someone so young and/or alive and that they were very suprised I was still working and functioning as a nurse. There was no time to stop and think , it was"hurry up and get on the table" (OR was less than two weeks after diagnosis).
To have a regrowth is rare, especially how rare it is to have an AN in the first place. The doc. didn't know if he have maybe left a cell or two behind the first time around and that regrew or I just have really bad lucky to have grown another one!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)