Author Topic: Can I go diving?  (Read 4708 times)

Nimrod

Can I go diving?
« on: March 20, 2012, 06:52:09 pm »
 This may be a strange question but I am  avid scuba diver. I don't go to any extreme depth, 70-90 feet. The water is starting to warm up and I am getting the itch to go. Does anyone know if this is still a option?
 Thanks
 Craig

PaulW

Re: Can I go diving?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:24:30 am »
I tried going diving a few months ago, and asked to sign a waiver that said things like....
Do you have any balance problems, hearing problems, or have a brain tumour....
I quickly realised that I wasn't going to pass their quiz...

As far as I am aware there is no physical reason as to why you cannot go divingwith an AN but you will need to have a medical certificate to prove it..
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:54:16 am »
I had a translab (16 years ago now) but the 2 things that they told me that I could NEVER do were scuba or sky dive.  My eustation tube was closed and packed so I assumed that the change in pressure would be the problem.  I'm not sure if you have had surgery yet but I would sure double check with my Dr!

Good Luck!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 02:04:57 pm »
Very good point Kaybo.
All the more reason to check with your doctor before you go diving

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Mark H

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 12:16:42 am »
I've never tried SCUBA but I like to swim. A couple years ago I decided to dive down to the river bottom (only 8-10 feet down.) Partway there I got confused on what was up and down. After a few seconds of disorientation I decided to blow out a bit of air figuring the bubbles would go up. THey did and I did. I remember being a bit embarrased at losing my way in such shallow conditions but the same thing had happened to one of my felllow NF2 friends in a pool not too long before. Her symptoms are far worse than mine so she was still struggling with finding her way when soneone saw her and jumped in rescuing her. I'm not sure about NF1 but NF2 means a definite "be extra careful and never dive alone" something I have to admit I still do. Hey, I never said I was smart.  ::) ;D
Mark

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 07:11:27 am »
Quite a apart from the pressure on your ears, one thing that is probably a real concern is the pressure on your skull. Unless your entry point from surgery was replaced with bone or a plate, it seems to me (not being a doctor and all) that significant pressure against an area of the brain  protected by only skin and fat would be a bad thing. A very bad thing. Plus, with an area of bone missing, it also seems to me that the entire construct of the skull would be weakened.

In other words, talk to a doctor and make sure you a clear with the doc on the depths you are talking about.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

BeckyMax

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 09:38:32 am »
Craig,
We just returned from a cruise to the Bahamas.  We stayed in Key Largo 2 nights before the cruise and did a 2 tank dive while in Key Largo.

I was diagnosed in Feb (last month) with a 5mm x 7mm left AN.  I am currently in watch and wait and consulted with 3 doctor last month on the recommended course of action.  Knowing that we were planning a cruise and planning to dive, I specifically asked all 3 doctors about diving and was given the OK by all 3 to dive.  One of the docs, is a diver himself, so that really helped in my decision to proceed.  I am not certified, but had intended on getting certified this summer.  I do not have balance issues on land, my only symptoms of AN is tinitus and hearing loss.    I do recommend that you consult with your doctor to see what he says before you dive.  A surgery could also change the recommendations I received as pressure on the skull may impact the skull bones.

The primary concern for not diving with an AN for me was the potential for ear damage in my non AN ear.   My doc cautioned me to ascend and descend slowly, and to equalize frequently.  All of which any diver should be doing, but with the potential for ear problems, I did so with even more care than I would have otherwise. 

As a non-certified diver, I took a discover scuba course, my son did the same a refresher since he is certified but has not dived since his certification in October.  My husband tagged along as a snorkeler at the dive site, he was injured in a car accident last year and has not fully recovered to be able to dive yet.  With a mixed bag of certified, non-certified and snorkelers, our dive operator chose a shallow reef of 30 feet or so deep.  This was fine for me, I think any deeper would have made me too nervous.

My first dive went ok.  I was nervous, my mask was flooding for the first few minutes and I had some bouyancy issues.  After about 20 minutes I settled in and started to feel more at ease.  Never did I feel any disorientation.  My biggest issue was that my son, though certified, also has ADHD and I worried about how he was feeling.  The instructor focused his attention on me, I was the only non-certified diver on the dive.  I was worrying about my son who tended to stay a bit shallower and and about 10 feet behind me as we followed the instructor around the dive site.  Essentially, he was in my blind spot.    The seas were a bit rough, the boat was really rocking on the surface, at depth was better.  I did think about my AN a few times, but I was not debilitated by the thought of it in fact, I think it made me even more aware.

My 2nd dive went much better.  I positioned myself where I could see my son, this helped with my anxiety tremendously.   I gained better control of my boyancy and my breathing.  I enjoyed it much much more.

A previous poster mentioned swimming down  to the bottom of a river and feeling disoriented.  I think this is part could be do to a number of issues including rapid descent, he was trying to reach the bottom on one breath, as a diver you are breathing continuously.  You can descend slowly.  but also, you can tell up from down by watching your bubbles.  Another poster mentioned the fat packing if translab surgery had been done, saying you would not be able to equalize (if I recall the comments correctly).  i also don't see this as an issue.  The purpose for equalizing is to preserve your eardrum to protect your hearing.  With translab, you have no hearing to preserve.  You would of course need to be careful for your other ear, but not being able to equalize your translab ear would not be an issue (my non medical opinion).  With any type of surgery, I think the issue is more of the pressure put on your brain where the skull has been compromised. 

I did have to fill out a medical questionaire.  I answered no to all questions, having already discussed them with my doctor ahead of time.  My son, the certified one, had a very brief questionairre, totally different than mine.  A doctors note would be preferred, I did consider the fact that in a case of liability, had I not answered truthfully this could compromise any coverage I may have, such as divers insurance. 

You can contact DAN for a referral to a dive doctor in your area.  I intend on seeing a doctor as well as having my son fully checked out again before our next dives.   I just feel like I will be more comfortable see a specialized physican for the final say.   You do not have to be a DAN member to receive a referral.     Since I knew we would be doing shallow dives I was comfortable with the OK I got from the 3 I saw prior. 

Again, my experience may be different than yours.  I do not have any balance issues on land.  Your AN could be pressing differently on your balance nerve.  From your prior posts I don't believe you have had any treatment so far, but treatments could also have an impact on your diving ability.  However, you are already certified and have many dives in your log, I suspect you will have an easier time that I did.  I don't think any of the anxiety I felt related to my AN at all, it was the newness of the experience, the weather conditions and my concern for my son.  I intend to get fully certified this spring. 

Happy diving! (but do talk to a doctor first)

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

sterry

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 09:51:56 pm »
I had a translab and during conversation with Dr. Schwartz after surgery, he told me I could never scuba dive.  I didn't question too much as I am not a diver.
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 04:07:39 pm »
I was also told not to swim as I could become disoriented...I used a lot of caution at first but has never been a problem but I don't do more than jump off the diveing board in the deep end...& that only when my kids can persuade me!!  ;)
Good to know that they are still saying that...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Nimrod

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:04:59 pm »
Thanks everyone,
 I have not had any treatments yet. I go to Shands on Thursday to see the surgeon for the first time. 
 Been a recreational diver for 30+ years so I was wondering if it was still a option.
 I will definately talk to the Dr about it.
 Craig